4 hours ago, Paul Schwartz said:

Not surprised... makes sense to me. Mobile is meant to be minimalist; personally, I don't want to see everyone's enormous signature on my little phone screen every time 🙂

Agreed!!

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:46 AM, lachenal74693 said:

I'd sort of assumed that settings would be carried over automagically.

Roger

An excellent description. Are you a Discworld enthusiast too?

5 hours ago, Jonathan Taylor said:

An excellent description. Are you a Discworld enthusiast too?

'Fraid so. R...

How do you edit sigs now? I don’t see any mention of the sig on my “Edit Profile” page, and my sig’s now obviously a mess (I was hoping, based on the above, that messing with the line ends would fix it).

2 hours ago, David Barnert said:

How do you edit sigs now? I don’t see any mention of the sig on my “Edit Profile” page, and my sig’s now obviously a mess (I was hoping, based on the above, that messing with the line ends would fix it).

Hi David, as I have no access to my notebook at the moment I just can share my recollection that after noticing the mess you’re mentioning with my own signature when not using my cellphone (where signatures are being hidden) but an „ordinary“ browser for the first time following the switch/upgrade I was able to edit it via my „settings“ too. If still unsolved I‘ll come back to you when having access to the non-mobile view again.

Best - 🐺

3 hours ago, David Barnert said:

The Signature box is under the Account Settings page.

Bummer.

Thanks for your help. Adjusting the line ends looked like it was working, but the system complained that my sig didn’t meet requirements, too many lines. So that’s the end of my 20-year-old ASCII art sig (I had been using it in mailing lists and newsgroups long before concertina.net, but as they all now use proportional fonts—if they still exist—ASCII art doesn’t work anymore).

Still noticing, as I type this, that hitting “return” (I’m using a Mac) gives me two line feeds.

27 minutes ago, David Barnert said:

Still noticing, as I type this, that hitting “return” (I’m using a Mac) gives me two line feeds.

Try shift+return.
That gives you a line break rather than a new paragraph.

Thanks. Let’s see...
Yeah, that works. Hard to describe it as a step forward, though.

Now working on adjusting my avatar...

6 hours ago, David Barnert said:

Thanks. Let’s see...

It's actually standard practice. Just like in any modern word processor for the past decade or so... Same in just about any and every messaging or text editing environment.

Thanks, Paul, I didn’t know that. My MacBook is only about 4 years old and none of the software on it has that feature. There’s a windows machine on my desk at work which I very rarely use for word processing. Microsoft Word on that machine does that, but I never knew the “Shift/Return” trick. I found cumbersome ways to work around it.

The only texting/messaging I do is on an iPhone, and it doesn’t seem to happen there, even as I type this message on it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Paul Schwartz said:

...Just like in any modern word processor for the past decade or so...

They'll never catch on - some of us still prefer the old ASR33/35 teletype with paper tape reader at the side,
lots of clanking and clunking and formatting 'by hand' - happy days :) ...

Roger

Edited by lachenal74693
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, David Barnert said:

The only texting/messaging I do is on an iPhone, and it doesn’t seem to happen there, even as I type this message on it.

I meant the shift-return trick. The setting to have a paragraph every time you hit return is just a bit of a time saver since it's more natural to do it that way, as in a word processor. It's also a setting that can be enabled or disabled in most word processing/editing/messaging systems. Personal preference...

however, shift+return is giving me a page break, with MS Word 2010 

On 5/27/2018 at 1:48 PM, David Barnert said:

Thanks. Let’s see...

Now working on adjusting my avatar...

In case you're still working on it... it's not obvious, took me a while to figure out. Go to your profile while logged in and find the little icon below your current Avatar (see attachment). Click on that icon, and it'll allow you to change it.

cnetavatar.JPG

On 5/31/2018 at 5:17 AM, RAc said:

In case you're still working on it... it's not obvious, took me a while to figure out. Go to your profile while logged in and find the little icon below your current Avatar (see attachment). Click on that icon, and it'll allow you to change it.

Thanks. I’ve had it where I want it since a few minutes after my last post. Problem was that with the new interface, the avatar displayed in less-than-optimal resolution, so I went back to the original photo and played with it in photoshop until I could make it work (involved adding material to the side edges).