Three Piratey Tunes From Sea Of Thieves

Geoff W.

Hi all,

As a fan of Sea of Thieves, one of my near-term anglo practice goals is to learn how to play the in-game concertina songs in real life. Fortunately, someone has kindly gone and transcribed the sheet music for three of the songs (the fourth is Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries)

Grogg Mayles:

https://musescore.com/user/1133871/scores/4922312

Bosun Bill:

https://musescore.com/user/1133871/scores/4947688

Becalmed:

https://musescore.com/user/1133871/scores/4922324

I'm having a tough time getting Grogg Mayles to fit on the 30-key anglo as written. I see where creativity and mild chord "suggestions" are necessary in some places - but if any of the more experienced folks here find a nice way to make some of the chords fit, I'd love to hear it.

Ahoy there matey, you're in luck it's in Dm which is perfect for the C/G Anglo.

I'll work up an arrangement this evening and post it here for all ye would-pirates.

Great tune - very piratical-sounding!

Gary

Aye, here 'tis one way o' playin' ye tune. In case it be copyrighted by the authorities, not sayin' where I got it from, just passing it along...

UPDATE: Robin Beanland (the composer from Sea of Thieves) and Microsoft Corporation have graciously given their permission to arrange and share this tune for Anglo concertina - yea!

Grogg-Mayles-PSFC.pdf

Edited by gcoover
  • Thanks 2

Not sure where you all are in your approach to the instrument, but maybe some of you have had a go at Bertram Levy's instructions, and by the by, he has a new booklet out these many years later.

I just want to send you in another slightly different direction by suggesting a look listen to Cormac Begley playing "ships a sailing" followed by another version called "Jackson's reel", and to finish off the set, Dunmore lasses. It doesn't get more "piraty". You can find it on his bandcamp site, on the cd "tunes from the church", track 10. It's pitched about 20cents flat. The banjo player is beyond good.

@wes listening to this now and it's great. as far as where I'm at, i'm still brand new - mostly working my way left-to-right in Gary's books and considering lessons. what sort of different direction do you mean?

• 1 month later...

It looks to me like the melody for Becalmed will fit on the 20-button anglo if you transpose it up 3 semitones (from the version in the original post) so that there are no sharps or flats in the key signature. The harmony part won't fit on a 20-button, at least not together with the melody.

Hey there OrangeLadBoy,

The original is in the key of E so definitely no way on a 20-button (unless it's a E/B - don't think they exist).

But the good news is it will work quite handily in the key of C and the melody and chords can be made to work on a 20-button (it's a little easier on a 30-button). Looks like you've got a good start on it. If you don't have the low A on the left hand button #6 on the pull (some 20-button's don't), then move up an octave and start on left hand #5 push. This will also give you the option of adding in the chords too. The chords are C, F, G, Am and Dm.

This lovely tune was composed by Robin Beanland.

Gary

• Like 1

Here's the melody for Becalmed for 20-button anglo. I ended up putting it in the key of G, more because of my own confusion than for any good reason. I didn't give much thought to bellows direction as I picked buttons, so you'll probably want to make some changes as you figure out your harmony.

If anyone has suggestions for free/cheap software for Mac or Linux that can produce similar notation in a nicer format without a lot of hassle, let me know.

____
Right Hand          Push Pull
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bar 1/2 1/4 1/8 1/16 dot tie 1/2-rest 1/4-rest 1/8-rest
 |   o   *   '   "    .   -     =        z        7
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Left Hand

_     _______     _________     ________              _     ___     _________
          1 2   1 1     1 2   1 1      1                    1 2   2 2   1   2
* | o * | o * | o ' ' | o * | * *. ' | o * | o.-o * | o * | o * | o * | o-' ' |
3   5 5             5              5     5   4    5   3 5

____    _      ___        _                     _     ______     _______
2 2  1             1   1    1                1    1                    1 2
o *| o *| o.-* z ' ' | o. | o-' ' | * o-o. | o. | o * | o.-o * | o * | o * |
       5  5      5              5   4 5             5   5    3   5 5

_____       ___     _    ___        ___     __________________     ___
2 2   1         1 1   1  1 1          1 2   6 6 2   1 2      1 2   1 1
o * | o-' ' | * * * | *. " " * | o.-o ' ' | * * * | * o-o.-o ' ' | ' ' * * |
          5   5              5   5                                     5 5

____________        _____    ___        _           _      ______
                          1  1 1          2   6 6   2 2  1   2    2   6 6
* o-o. | o-' ' | * *. ' | *. " " * | o.-o * | o * | * *. ' | o.-o * | o * |
4 3      3   3   5 5  5          5   5

_____   _        ___     _______     ___     ___       _______       ___
7 5 7 6 6   6    1 2   2 2 1         1 2   1 1
' " " * * | o.-o ' ' | * * * | * o-o ' ' | ' ' * * | * o-o-' ' | o-' ' |
                               5 5             5 5   4 3     3   5   5

_    ___                       _     _     _______            _     _     ___
1  1 1                6        1 1   2   1 1                  1 1   2   1 1
*. " " * | o.-o.-o. | o. | = 7 " " | o-' " " | * * * | o.-o-' " " | o-' " " |
       5   5                                   5 3 5   5

___          _     _     _______
             1 1   2   1 1
* * *-o.-o-' " " | o-' " " | * * * | o.-o.-o.-o. ||
5 3 5                        5 3 5   5

Edited by schult
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...