Pop Up Ads

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don’t mind the ads, but they should push the whole page down. Otherwise much of the navigation menu at the top of your web page is covered. Unfortunately, if you close the ad, google asks you why, making it obvious that they are collecting more info on you. However, these things are so ubiquitous that it isn’t going to make much of a difference. Going to a good cause!

Don’t mind the ads, but they should push the whole page down. Otherwise much of the navigation menu at the top of your web page is covered. Unfortunately, if you close the ad, google asks you why, making it obvious that they are collecting more info on you. However, these things are so ubiquitous that it isn’t going to make much of a difference. Going to a good cause!

Yeah, unfortunately I have no control over the layout... it's all automated. Yes, these in-line ads are everywhere now so it's not exactly a big surprise I hope to try them here. I'll see how it goes... some are pretty sleazy and that drives me nuts.

Google has some misinformation on me. I'm getting ads for cute clothes for women (okay, makes sense) and cute Asian women for dating (erm, no thanks...).

Yeah, some of the ads are super annoying. I think it's because this site is so niche, there just aren't enough properly targeted ads, so they end up showing random "junk ads". I guess not many advertisers are buying concertina-related keywords, who would have thought, ha ha?!?

Paul:

If you are considering moving the forum to a different base of software that will result in all of the old postings being lost/inaccessible then I implore you to please not do so.

The historical postings here contain an essential store of decades worth of irreplaceable information.

I google 'site:concertina.net something' at least once per week.

Thx. Don.

Paul:

If you are considering moving the forum to a different base of software that will result in all of the old postings being lost/inaccessible then I implore you to please not do so.

The historical postings here contain an essential store of decades worth of irreplaceable information.

I google 'site:concertina.net something' at least once per week.

Thx. Don.

No, it's just a new version of this current software (which is now so old that it's no longer supported). It would mean paying the company (Invision) to both upgrade the entire thing and to then move it all to their new hosted platform so they can keep it up to date (to keep it safe and secure). I'm currently on their old "lifetime" license that I paid for a long time ago, and an inexpensive (but reliable!) host, but it's really end-of-life now.

Paul

I sincerely hope you can make the adverts less intrusive. I’ve just been offered free browsing of pictures of an adult dating site. I would be very sorry if this became a regular feature of concertina.net.

I’m an admin on melodeon.net and we’ve never needed to consider advertising. Members donations amply cover hosting costs, and we use a public domain forum script.

Could cnet use the same forum script as melnet (which, if I understand Theo correctly, would save considerable money)? What are the drawbacks? Could the existing cnet archives be ported over to that forum system? Could they be turned into a static archive and remain accessible for reading and searching? (There must be a way to get a dump of all the forum content, and then it's "just" a matter of someone writing the code to turn it into something searchable and readable...)

Another consideration is that explicit dating ads not only are troubling for those of us already here, but also make a less than favourable impression on newcomers.

The old forums will still be available through the Wayback machine @ archive.org

The old forums will still be available through the Wayback machine @ archive.org

True, but you cannot search for a particular word or phrase, at least I have not been able to do so.

For example, a couple of days ago I wanted to see if anyone had used Liberon brand french polish on a concertina and googling "site:concertina.net Liberon" gave me several hits. I don't think that I could do this on archive.org.

Could cnet use the same forum script as melnet (which, if I understand Theo correctly, would save considerable money)? What are the drawbacks? Could the existing cnet archives be ported over to that forum system? Could they be turned into a static archive and remain accessible for reading and searching? (There must be a way to get a dump of all the forum content, and then it's "just" a matter of someone writing the code to turn it into something searchable and readable...)

There appears to be a migration script already, though it wouldn't necessarily be a trivial job!

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=132.0