Duet Tunes

I'm a new Hayden duet player and have been using the Elise tutor to get started. I'm not a natural but still making some progress. I know about Easy Peasy Tunes but I don't feel that collection is for me. So where does one start? I checked The Button Box and they have plenty of music books/tunes for Anglo and English but so sad, duet is left out! I can play a bit by ear for sure on the right hand. I never learned how to read chord notation.

Rather than trying to figure this out on my own I wondered if others have already had this issue?

You could try the arrangements for Duet concertinas at www.concertina.com they are none too easy but they might take you somewhere or show the way forward for the type of scores that might suit.

Simplified Piano arrangements should be easy to find as many have been produced for students.

Rearranging to suit the compass of the Elise is always going to be a problem though.

Good luck.

It depends on what sort of music you want to play, of course, but you might start with getting some simple folk dance tunes (jigs, reels, waltzes etc.) with the chords given. Then if you can figure out the common chords (G, C, D, A minor, E minor) and learn to play them and move from one to another, you should be able to play many of the common tunes, especially if you don't try and go too fast.

... Rather than trying to figure this out on my own I wondered if others have already had this issue?

The Hayden is still a pretty new concept in concertinas, and there is not much material published for it, nor is there likely to be any time soon. I would strongly suggest doing just what you seem afraid to try to do: Start with tunes you can play on the right hand (either reading the melody on paper or by ear) and improvising a left hand accompaniment, either based on chord names printed with the tune or from scratch, using your own imagination.

...... if you can figure out the common chords (G, C, D, A minor, E minor) and learn to play them and move from one to another, you should be able to play many of the common tunes, especially if you don't try and go too fast.

Some knowledge of chord theory would help. One needs to know how chords are constructed. This site should help https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Music_Theory/Chords

And this http://www.concertinaman.net/uploads/6/4/9/2/64922025/chord_wheel.pdf

Cheers

Steve.

http://www.concertinaman.net/

,,,but I don't feel that collection is for me.

Why and what kind of music DO you expect?

I've tried myself at a Crane for a few years now, and so far, English dance tunes that work fine on anglo concertinas work well for me. Theoretically I can tackle anything (at least my instrument doesn't prevent me), but as MacCannic pointed out, that kind of music provides pretty solid ground work to move on from. Unless of course it doesn't interest you musically, but then, one would need to know what does to give you useful hints.