What Type Of Concertina Do I Need

paulc

hello everyone, great site. i am a button accordian player from Ireland and want to start to learn the concertina but i know nothing about concertinas. Does anyone know what type of concertina i should get (i will be playing Irish music). i take it there are different types of concertina (perhaps with different tuning).

i'd be really really grateful for any advice anyone could give me.

go raibh mile maith agaibh,

Paul

Welcome! Why not go for a three-row instrument in C/G. Would assume that's a good startin' point. With the accendental row you'll be able to play in just about any key you're likely to encounter. I'm just an English Concertina player, but for Irish and your experience with a button box, I'd say others playin' diatonic instruments will agree and fill in on that which I am ingnorant of.

Again, welcome!

also does anyone know whether a diatonic or chromatic concertina is best (and easiest) for playing irish music?

Yep. Some of us know the one is better, and some others of us know the other is better. :)

And a few of us think that neither is inherently superior, any more than either violin or uilleann pipes is inherently superior.

Edited by JimLucas

Here a chromatic concertina player goes again...For all practical purposes, a three row diatonic has enough of a chromatic capacity to play almost anything you will encounter in the Irish genre.

Depends on how well your mind works with the diatonic system. If you are comfortable with the button box (is it a one row?), then taking on the three row diatonic system and cross row fingering is your best road.

I started on a two row diatonic as a kid, put a lot of time in, but could not make the cross row fingering work when I became interested in Irish music in my 20's. Someone handed me an EC (English Concertina/fully chromatic) and it was just right for me. Warning: EC were not the instrument that migrated to Ireland in the 1860's. Could walk into some grief or "slagging". If it's what works for your head, most will forgive you.

Here is a joke I posted a long time ago, I repeat it for you in case like moth to flame ya' go the EC road to perdition'. It could cut back on the slaggfest you will encounter.

How can you tell when stage is level?

The fella playin' English has drool comin' outta both sides a' his mouth. :P

Also: Buy a pint...er' two for the cats who look at you as if you were a wounded mouse.

Edited by Mark Evans

Well, it was directed towards me (pot-bellied wag that he was...that could be me today :( ). Considering the altered state I found myself in that evening, the joke could well have been an accurate discription of my condition <_< .

Edited by Mark Evans

Jim first time I heard it...it was a bluegrass banjo player! :(

Which reminds me of 2 jokes:

Sorry if this is repeating what you have already heard.

the definition of perfect pitch:- Throwing the melodeon into the skip and hitting the banjo first time!!

Why do so many people take an instant dislike to the melodeon (or banjo!) ?

- It saves time!!

- John Wild

John, I really like the second one. In fact I think I'll have a tee-shirt printed up with it on the front.

I already have one that says "What happens in Kentucky, should stay in Kentucky!"

This other would complete my summer festival ensemble! :P

Edited by Mark Evans