Sticking My Neck Out

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the latest to my collection. Ok, so only one half of this couple is playing a concertina, but I just hated to split up them up.

The photo give no size perspective - this lovely couple are both twelve inches tall! :D

Cheers

Morgana

I was out on a day by the seaside on saturday and came across the first concertina playing figure I had seen, in a charity shop for £! ! I promptly purchased it without thinking what I was going to do with it when I got it back to my boat.

Needn't have worried though, I broke it on the train on the way back :(

Derek :( :(

Edut fir tepo

Edited by bigsqueezergeezer

Here are the latest to my collection. Ok, so only one half of this couple is playing a concertina, but I just hated to split up them up.

The photo give no size perspective - this lovely couple are both twelve inches tall! :D

Cheers

Morgana

Good on you! You've caught the bug - there is no turning back now :P

/Henrik

• 7 months later...

Yo, all figurine lovers!

I have added a little clown who had been stashed away with his fellow magnets - he popped out of a box two days ago.

Also, a new angel has arrived, a Christmas present from old friends in the UK.

A Happy New Year to All!

- happy figurine hunting 2006!

/Henrik

I'm afraid the bug is indeed, contagious, or at least transmittable! I have a friend in Yorkshire who has made it his mission to inundate my home with concertina figurines! To date I have 21- I'll post them when I get a chance.

Oh, dear - what have I done, what have I done?! :D

/Henrik

I'm afraid the bug is indeed, contagious, or at least transmittable! I have a friend in Yorkshire who has made it his mission to inundate my home with concertina figurines!
Oh, dear - what have I done, what have I done?! :D

Henrik, you are not personally responsible. This bug has been circulating for centuries, possibly millenia, and it's hardly limited to squeezebox images. Haven't some stone-age tombs been discovered to contain figurines? :)

I have a cousin who collects Santas. I think the last I heard she had more than 300. I have two friends who collect elephants, and a sister who collects owls. At least in the latter case, it's not that she herself collects owls, but that people present them as gifts, and the reason she started the "collection" is so that folks could know that there is something they can get her that at least she doesn't dislike... as opposed to some of the oddments she used to receive for birthdays or Christmas. ;)

Edited by JimLucas

Haven't some stone-age tombs been discovered to contain figurines? :)
Indeed, here in Wiltshire we have many such neolithic remains. Not very far from us is the tomb of what has been conjectured to be a neolithic morris man complete with bells and petrified baldrick. There are a number of figurines in the tomb who appear to be dancing Bampton Trunckles with a musician clearly playing a primitive form of concertina - possibly a Jones. The figurines can now be seen at the Bradford on Avon Museum of Folk Life and Lap Dancing Club.

Ahem.

Chris

Chris ,Were they all buried there during the Dance?

He must have been playing pretty badly on the concertina for him to have been put in there with them.

For that reason I would suggest it might have been an early Stagi.

Al

• 2 weeks later...
Henrick, I'm coveting your gnome collection! I have a glass gnome ornament, but almost all the rest of my collection are human!
Hmm - a Scandinavian thing, maybe - we are quite into gnomes here, I mean the whole place is crawlling with Gs all through December. (Now that would imply a Scandinavian production of concertinaplaying gnomes... doesn't sound right). Don't know where they are made, really (do I detect a cynic mumbling "Made in China"). Sorry, just rambling; I'll go back to my little pieces of wood with holes in.

/Henrik