Sticking My Neck Out

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I want to know is where did you get them and do they still sell them? :D

Hi, Morgana -

I assume you mean the figurines.

There is no good answer to that. They are bought over a 15-16 year period of time, but generally I find them in shops I normally would avoid - like tourist shops, department of tasteless...hmm I can't find the proper English expression. Those places are normally stuffed with little dogs, cats, children etc, etc, ad nauseam (personal view). And only my fascination with the seemingly endless variations of bellowsswinging creatures makes me (and the family) sweep the shelves in those shops.

Most are bought in Sweden, a few in the UK, a few in Germany, one from one of the children's playmates and one in Japan. But a few post up from this you will find Malcom Clapp saying that out of several dozens figurines only three were the same as in my lot. So Australia seems to be a good huntin' ground! :)

Henrik

I've just come across this link to a Japanese site on melodeon.net

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Hollywood-Stage/8883/index.html

It is mainly melodeons but has a few concertinas here and there.

Now that's what I call a collection!

Who is this person?

Any one here read Japanese and can give us a bit of a run down on the site?

What I want to know is where did you get them and do they still sell them? :D

Morgana,

Try places like the $2 Shop, Colonel Clints, Crazy Prices, The Reject Shop, The Bargain Warehouse, Copper Art etc.

The places where they sell cheap Chinese bits and pieces that no one will admit to wanting, but every one buys them, however useless, because it's cheap.

They often have squeezebox figurines, also fridge magnets, which haven't been mentioned yet. (I feel a new thread coming on; where's my camera? :rolleyes: )

Good hunting.

Malcolm

I've just come across this link to a Japanese site on melodeon.net

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Hollywood-Stage/8883/index.html

It is mainly melodeons but has a few concertinas here and there.

Now that's what I call a collection!

Who is this person?

Any one here read Japanese and can give us a bit of a run down on the site?

Geeee, Malcom! - Japan nevers stops amazing me! I think the man's name is Yoneyama Koizumi. I browsed around a little (with my very limited and rusty Katakana abilities and found some pictures from a session in something called The Middle House.

A few pictures down there is a picture of a western person called Jim Ediger - a search on the net revealed a band called "Red Thread" - click on the link www.garywolff.com/redthread.html - that's the home page (it asks for a MIDI plug-in, ignore). But no concertina player.

Huh - I just get sucked into this... if anyone seriuosly wants to browse around on the Japanese sites, there is obviously one word which is good to know: concertina. Grr - I thought I could show the imag in the post (still learning this). Anyway, it is attached. Written in two different type faces.

I browsed a little bit (= looked at pictures, BBSs and FAQs - that's the full stop sign...). Mostly melodeon/accordion stuff, and some reports from visits by various artist. But there seems to be a small, enthusiastic handful of people who are really dedicated to squeeze boxes. On the Links page, there are links to Chris & Anne and Chris' FAQ, but none to concertina.net.

I will end these ramblings ("got to stop, got to stop") with an animated GIF concertina player. Not a music site, a children's site.

Sitting on my hands, now. Promise.

Henrik

Henrik

Well, I broke my promise, because I just now realized that I had been carried away (excuse the pun) from the actual squeeze box doll collection. In case none of you hasn't seen it, here is the direct link to collection in Japan!. Henk, he has some cool angels!

I'll mail this guy now...

Henrik

I will end these ramblings ("got to stop, got to stop") with an animated GIF concertina player. Not a music site, a children's site.

Henrik

Henrik

I just released my hands to let you know that I recognize this animated gif:

tefukin.gif

I think that one of the C.Netters used it (or still use it) a an avatar on this forum.

B.T.W.: To insert an image by linking to it, just have a look at the code below:

I just released my hands to let you know that I recognize this animated gif:

[IMG=http://pagebank.sun-inet.or.jp/~panda/tefukin.gif]

I think that one of the C.Netters used it (or still use it) a an avatar on this forum.

Edited by Henk van Aalten

• 2 months later...

But that can be corrected. The full concertina figurine collection is now up!

Go and get it here!

Henrik

The paper pixie in miscellaneous has just got to be the cutest. Love it.

Hope its not too tedious to resurrect this thread but I just picked up this one in Boulogne last Saturday

http://photos9.flickr.com/13164609_7ce4a06be1.jpg

Its a melodeon of course, but I think its reasonably "anatomically correct" (the instrument not the sheep!)