Sticking My Neck Out

After my first month of enjoying a permanent net connection and getting a feel of the forum, I have come to the point where I dare to start an old idea: putting my collection of concertina figurines on the net. So here's the first part, more will follow: Concertina figurines

Since I am in the process of learning this, it is based on modified code kindly borrowed from Henk (thanks, Henk). The next step is (hopefully) to add more pages (yes, with more figurines).

Enjoy!

Henrik

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After my first month of enjoying a permanent net connection and getting a feel of the forum, I have come to the point where I dare to start an old idea: putting my collection of concertina figurines on the net. So here's the first part, more will follow: Concertina figurines

Nice collection Henrik! Some very strange items in it, like the pirates back. :ph34r:

I'm looking forward to the next publication ;)

These are great, Henrik! I looked at every one- though I venture to suggest that your elk is a moose!

Are there more? I have a few angels, and would love to see the gnomes.

And Henk, who did you have in mind for that avatar...??? ^_^

Two comments:

1 There seems to be more anglo players than English system

2 There are one or two Herrington square concertinas in that collection!

What makes these square ones concertinas, rather than accordions/melodeons? The size?

The reason I ask is that you may have prompted me to share MY collection .... . I think I only have one hexagonal instrument represented (he is my avatar), and some are definitely accordions (if size matters!), but the rest may be eligible for inclusion ...

Samantha

These are great, Henrik! I looked at every one- though I venture to suggest that your elk is a moose!

It's both. What Americans call "moose" is known to most Europeans as "elk": "elg" in Danish or Norwegian, älg" in Swedish, "Elch" in German, "eland" in Dutch; my Finnish dictionary says "elk" is "hirvi" and "moose" is American for "hirvi"; similarly with "лось" in Russian. Meanwhile, I think that what Americans call "elk" is more closely related to what Europeans call "red deer" or "roe deer".

1  There seems to be more anglo players than English system

You sure those aren't duets? ;)

2  There are one or two Herrington square concertinas in that collection!

What makes these square ones concertinas, rather than accordions/melodeons? The size?

Not the size, but the the fact that the way it's held and played is the same for the right hand as for the left. Big ones, especially big square ones, are likely bandonions or Chemnitzers. :)

There was a previous Topic on a similar theme, but most of the images were on external sites and are no longer accessible. I'm sure Wendy could point us to a new location for hers, but did anybody download the pictures from eBay?

In any case, Henrik's collection is far superior to any other I've seen. I, too, have a few figurines -- also printed artifacts, -- but I haven't done any serious collecting. I'm sorta jealous of some of Henrik's. :)

Edited to add links to a Topic on avatars, several of which are figurines, and another topic on figurines, which just happens to include a photo of most of my little squeezers.

Edited by JimLucas

Well! My own collection and the photos of it aren't quite as impressive as Henrik's collection and photos. But, here's a link to the same pics that I posted a while ago: Collection - Squeezers1

It's necessary to use a password, which is the same name as the gallery:

colsqu1

I haven't added to my collection. I don't think I have any space for anything else!

I thing your first bear (goofy) is clearly Rowlf the Dog, a muppet:

rowlf.jpg

Specifically, he's probably a "muppet baby" version of Rowlf.

mbabies_rowlf.gif

Indeed it is. As a more grown-up dog, he was the piano player on the Muppet Show. I guess they thought that as a baby he was too small for the piano, so they gave him a smaller keyboard-type instrument...

:)

Steven

I love Froggie!

And is that an Æola that Lem is playing?

Well, Froggie, of course, has been immortalized by your song for him set to the tune of 'Fiddlers' Green.' (It was in this thread: http://www.concertina.net/forums/lofiversi....php/t1216.html)

-- Not sure about Lem or what he's playing! He's part of a set of...4? or 5? that I got on ebay for small cash. I'm not even sure what they're made out of -- they seem wood-carved, but then again they seem molded.

So maybe you need to add to your space. :)

Hmm...I dunno. I always feel like I'm 'digging out' from under piles of stuff. I did buy a file cabinet, though, and that's a big help around here! :)

The goofy bear indeed appears to be Rowlf. However, I find that odd.

Rowlf plays the PIANO. I've never seen him using any other instrument. This irks me as it makes me think he sees his concertina fetish as a forbidden love.