English - Major Chords

otsaku

• 2 weeks later...
Ok so here's my attempt at plotting some chords on the Jackie.

I couldn't find any on the net so I had to make my own  :huh:

I congratulate you on the way these are presented on the web - very neat use of a graphics program (P'shop perhaps?).

I suppose these are a little like guitar tablature - it might be easier for people to just learn the notes and read music, but for those who respond better to a diagram of the physical layout they're great. At least we don't have to play chord inversions up and down the neck like guitarists do.

Do you use chords a lot? I tend to just fill in tunes with the odd harmonising note. When I do use chords I tend to use two hands rather than one so my chords tend not to be triads.

Very neat anyway and I'm sure an asset to Jackie learners. Tom

Edited by brightfield

many thanks.

I've not yet figured out how to get chords into a song.

I think I need to get some recordings of english concertina playing so I can figure out what is being done.

I actually wanted to try chords to see if I could play songs I strum on guitar.

Didn't sound very good :(

I was also hoping I could drop some chords in to compliment the melody but its all just a little to confusing trying to put everything together.

I'm (still) struggling with morrison's jig - it defeated me on the tin whistle and now its defeating me on the ec.

I'm starting to think that if I crack this tune I'll be able to play anything <_<

I'm (still) struggling with morrison's jig - it defeated me on the tin whistle and now its defeating me on the ec.

I'm starting to think that if I crack this tune I'll be able to play anything  <_<

I'm having fun with a tune called The North Wind on tune-o-tron. Its really nice.

http://www.concertina.net/tunes_detail.html?rec_id=643

Sounds great on the Jackie

I'm not sure that you need to worry about chords - its nice to throw in a few, but the conertina works really well as a melodic instrument with the odd harmonising note thrown in at the end of phrases etc. Sure there are plenty of serious players who play Air on the G String etc, but for many of us, its the melody line which matters.

There's a nice Cd which Sarah Raven sells on ebay called Black Boxes for £4.99 which is fun.

http://tinyurl.com/4vlz9

You can play sound samples on the ebay site I think.

Tom