A Contemporary History Of Dipper Concertinas

shipcmo

There has been a lot of interest here on C.net in the history of individual boxes, and some dismay at sometimes a lack of manufacturer’s records. I propose that as a tribute to Colin and Rosalie Dipper we construct a contemporary history here on C.net.

As I recall, Colin began making instruments around 1972. There once was a catalog, but Colin felt “it would cost too much.”, and, as best as I can tell every instrument they made was “special” anyhow. So, let us all report on the instruments we know of; with whatever details of the individual instruments possible, including serial numbers and date of manufacture.

Meanwhile, I will see if Ken is willing and able to post some articles from the old C&S magazine.

Cheers,

Geo

There has been a lot of interest here on C.net in the history of individual boxes, and some dismay at sometimes a lack of manufacturer’s records.  I propose that as a tribute to Colin and Rosalie Dipper we construct a contemporary history here on C.net.

As I recall, Colin began making instruments around 1972.  There once was a catalog, but Colin felt “it would cost too much.”, and, as best as I can tell every instrument they made was “special” anyhow.  So, let us all report on the instruments we know of; with whatever details of the individual instruments possible, including serial numbers and date of manufacture.

I would welcome this info for any modern maker and we could certainly compile it into one article. I started a thread a while back asking which makers numbered and/or dated their boxes and got some interesting replies but no lists of numbers vs. dates. If anyone wishes to contribute without advertising that you own such an heirloom, you can email data privately to me or Paul and we can aggregate it.

Subject, of course, to our usual out-of-original-order way of dealing with C.net business! :lol:

Meanwhile, I will see if Ken is willing and able to post some articles from the old C&S magazine.

Cheers,

Geo

You bet, just name them.

Ken

To which end, there is an interesting interview with Colin here on the Lark In The Morning website.

Interesting. Any idea of when that interview took place? I would think that by now Colin would have seen more than one Jedcertina. And that quote, "We can now make an instrument in the time required, although it's very difficult to find out what each persons interpretation of that amount is."

There has been a lot of interest here on C.net in the history of individual boxes, and some dismay at sometimes a lack of manufacturer’s records.  I propose that as a tribute to Colin and Rosalie Dipper we construct a contemporary history here on C.net.

Don't they keep their own records? I wonder if they'd be willing to let some trusted friend copy from their ledgers.