What Do The Kids Really Think?

A few comments on a different thread got me thinking (a painful process at best).

Being of a certain age, as discussed in the past, in common with many members of the forum, my kids are now in their late teens (daughter 18 and son 16 next week).

They have kindly put up with me learning to play my Anglo without any real criticism and have ocassionally made a comment such as "that sounds really good Dad". However both agree that they don't really like folk music and my daughter stated the other day that she doesn't understand what it is all about (not sure I really know the answer to that one).

I do realise that they may be just putting up with the racket in order to humour "the old bloke" and it's not the first time that one of them has yelled that they couldn't hear the television because of the racket. I can't help wondering if they are just marking time until they can choose a well sound-proofed retirement home for me to move to.

Is there hope for me and my music? Will the kids come around to enjoying it? :blink:

Pete

My kids (almost too old to call them that now) call the concertina the "whingebag". Recently the eldest came into the room where I was playing and said, "Dad, ... I just want to check that you know that if you stop moving your hands like that the terrible noise will stop..."

Best Wishes

Chris

Edited by Chris Ghent

My 19-year old son just stays away when he hears me play- but he has Asperger Syndrome, which makes it nearly impossible for him to "filter out" unwanted input. He's doesn't complain, which is nice. I think he's figured out I'M nicer when I get a regular chance to play.

My just-turned-sixteen-year-old daughter, however, has gotten the ultimate revenge: she's taken up the PA!! :o

AND she loves most of the music I love! I worry about her social life... B)

(I think it's a ploy and she really can't wait to send me to the old folk's home so she can have my Jeffries!) :lol:

Allison

My just-turned-sixteen-year-old daughter, however, has gotten the ultimate revenge: she's taken up the PA!! :o

That sounds dangerous!

My 21 year old daughter (soon to be heading off to the London School of Economics: shameless parental pride outburst) was always mortified when she'd get dragged to square/contra dances with dad a musician and mom the caller.

Her embarrassment took a quantum leap when both began appearing publicly in Morris kit. I thought she was going to turn us in to the child abuse authorities.

But she's always liked the concertina, as long as it was played in the privacy of her own home. When she was little, we used to play "name that tune." I'd play some kid ditty on the concertina, she'd guess the title. I had a big playlist of Rafi and Cathy Fink/Marcy Marxer tunes back then, now all blessedly forgotten.

And now, my daughter is coming home with CDs of some punk rock Celtic band. So maybe she's edging back in the direction of the traditional.

Edited by Jim Besser

Complicated this. It's on my mind all the time. When they were younger me little tribe would sing with me. The approach of the teenage years and BOOM, it's all over.

They don't want anything to do with Mom's music (Classical, Baroque). :o

I'm tolerated with the concertina playing (for the present). They have gone to a seissun with me (I think the fish an' chips plus chocolate cake then board games kept them occupied plus the stories I told them about the ghost that haunts the tavern). I've even caught my Claude humming a tune er' two...and he bought a bodhran when last in Ireland with mom.

The bluegrass...man! We took in a jam session (super jam...insanity on earth). They freaked out on me. I had to run for the door with them as they spit out invective resembling vampires when faced with garlic or a crucifix. My treasures come from a family well stocked with crackers, but they...ain't.

Both are very musical and I listen and discuss (positively) their music even though inside it is now my turn to be the vampire. We travel down the road, I listening to my music on the car sound system, they each with their own CD players listening to....well, music.

I've overheard them talking about mom and dad with chums. They love to relate stories about our musical lives...proudly, but to our faces...alas.

Perhaps once my darlin' and I are safely under the sod, they'll look back with affection on our passion, musical and otherwise.

Edited by Mark Evans

My nephew plays base guitar in a rock band,he is typical of his age,dangling chains

pierced lips ,nose and maybe other places but I don`t ask.He was the one who played his Game boy over the Christmas holiday a few years ago and suddenly I thought what a great tune, which has been adpopted by our band.One day he rattled in and after a while said "Any chance I could come along to your session"(The George).I must admit this took me by surprise,but I took him and he loved it.He got a bit of tuition from our base guitarist during the evening.On the way home he talked about it non stop,his favourite was a Breton number.I had to give him one of our CDs which he plays on a regular basis.He hasn`t been since though, not enough young girls for him to be really interested.

My lads both enjoy Irish Folk music, possibly because I never played it

Al :)

and it's not the first time that one of them has yelled that they couldn't hear the television because of the racket.

Have you noticed, though, that racket is fine if it's theirs! :D

My daughter always complimented my singing/guitar-playing and once said, 'Wow, you were good!' while I was playing back an old recording I'd found of when I was about 19 years old. I said, 'Thanks; yes, I worked very hard at it.'

So, I'll never forget that kind of honest admiration. It was also very cute when she was just a little kid and she picked up an album cover of Joni Mitchell and said, 'Mom, is this YOU?' (I don't really look like her, but, I was playing/singing some of her songs.)

I can no longer play the guitar (at 44) because the skin on my fingers is bad for some reason and it's too painful.

I'm perfectly happy with the concertina -- in fact, I'd rather play it, than the guitar.

My daughter (almost 20) is polite if she is forced to hear it, but -- you guessed it -- she doesn't really like the concertina, or the accordion, very much!

My son is two he loves anything that makes a noise.

I got him his first guitar when he was 4 months old :)

When we put him to bed he always wants a song or three, my wife sings danish childrens songs to him and I sing whatever comes to mind in english...

For awhile his favourite song was somewhere over the rainbow ( i tend to break into it at odd times and even odder places ) and at the moment it's cockles and mussels.

I was a bit worried for awhile when he started dancing to the sh*te they play on the radio here but quickly got him enthralled with my old punk records

I'm making sure I catch him early before mass marketed pop gets hold of him.

On a side note he's pestering me to get his nose pierced :huh: and yes "2" wasn't a typo oh and the piercing thing is another bad influence i have on him

otsaku, you totally rock!

My daughter will probably want tattoos...for probably the same reason your son wants a piercing...her father will KILL her, however.

I don't have any punk records, but I'm hanging on to my cd of RENT to help distract her from top 40 drivel. Oh, and my Meatloaf cd's, too.

Kids go through stages. Mine generally come to sessions with me!Sometimes it seems as if I turn up with my own band. I am only new on a tina but they do compliment me on progress. The teen is not as keen at the moment but he will come back. Not too many pipers also play accordions! Recently I attended my first music festival WITHOUT children. The adults attended a different one interstate, their first without Mum! They still expected me to pop up.

What interests my kids more is who will get what instrument should I die. I may have to put it in my will, that will be a real catfight. No worries about any of my instruments going on the open market.

My girls (12 and 14), who both play Irish and English Country on the fiddle (and don't listen to contemporary pop stuff) say my playing "is fine." When and where I play, however, "is a different matter," especially if they're sleeping. I swear I never play until after 10:00 AM! Guess that's still early for teenagers.

Jeff Myers

I shall have to wait a little while to reply to this posting again, but my second Grandchild a little boy was born in the early hours of Saturday morning(Two weeks early).Another DAY

He looks as though he might be a concertina player.

Badad :rolleyes: