Great Hayden Recordings By "soloduetconcertina"

... I didn't know that the Wicki 's system had the left hand buttons in mirror image arrangement ...

Some years ago there was a thread about the Wicki layout. I can't find it now, or I would have provided a link. Somebody had some out-of-focus photos of an original Wicki instrument and an instruction manual from 1897 (with text in both German and English). This person was unable to post the images, so I offered to. I had long since run out of allowable upload space on concertina.net, so I posted them from my dropbox account. But since then, dropbox has changed the rules and the links to all those images have died. I still have the images in my dropbox, however, although the links are different and the images can no longer be displayed directly in concertina.net posts.

Here is the title page of the instruction manual. Notice he spells his name "Wicky" here, and "Wicki" in other contexts.
Here is the right-hand layout.
Here is the left-hand layout.

Great pictures! Though I had read about Wicki's layout, I hadn't realized that it had been commercialized with specific instruction books published. Must have been a great instrument, with all these buttons there's no real limitations to what one can play... at least when it comes to the range.

soloduetconcertina > Your videos are really nice! I see you are playing a lot of tango and english trad; did you ever think about getting in the french musette repertoire? (I'm french too, I'd love to be able to play it on a concertina but my anglo is a bit too limited for it).

Bonjour Riton, I think that it could be possible to play french musette on the Hayden duet. The only but important difference with the accordion is that you don't have ready made chords for the accompaniment. So you have to do it by yourself which is a little more difficult but sometimes more interesting because you can choose the position.

Recently I began to play La Partida, which is a venezuelian waltz but I think that it sounds a little like french musette. I will try to upload it on youtube asap. And I don't know if it's really musette but I used to play Les amants de Saint-Jean too when I began the instrument.

If you are not too far from Paris and want to take a look or a try at my concertina you are welcome. If you want to know more about the instrument you can also write to my e-mail address: soloduetconcertina@gmail.com

But my english is not as good as yours, so better in french for me.

Didier

soloduetconcertina--Je crois que Riton demandais si pour vous-meme, vous avez l'intention ou l'idee de jouer de la musette ainsi que les morceaux (tango, anglais) que vous avez deja enregistres.

[[i think Riton was asking if you yourself were thinking of playing French musette as well as the tango and English pieces in your video clips.]]]

Edited by ceemonster

To David,

Thanks for this nice video of another waltz close to the french musette style, and the information about the wicki system. Do you have an idea of the space between the buttons in the wicki concertina compare to the hayden system? And do you know if it could be possible to find somewhere a copy of the entire version of the instruction manual from Wicki?

Didier-

I have never actually seen a Wicki instrument or manual. I only have out-of-focus pictures that somebody sent me. They are all stored in my dropbox account. Since dropbox no longer supports direct links, I can’t make the images appear here, although I can supply links you can click:

Here is the instrument with the label.

Here is the left side button layout. I’m sorry there is no reference to size, but it looks like the spacing is a little more distant than the Hayden.

Here is the right side.

Following are selected pages from the manual (all that I have).

Title page

Page 3 (Introduction)

Page 5 (Instructions)

Page 6 (Bass keyboard)

Page 7 (Treble keyboard)

Page 8 (Position and preparatory exercises)

Page 9 (Exercises)

Page 10 (Exercises, continued)

Page 11 (continued)

Page 15 (Harmonic minor scale)

Thank you David, this document is very precious for me because I realize that what I'm searching for is very close to the Wicky concertina, except for the mirror image left hand because I didn't get used to it with the Beaumont. And maybe with a keyboard shape closer to the bandoneon because it seems quite difficult to reach all the buttons on the Wicki concertina.

Thank you David, this document is very precious for me because I realize that what I'm searching for is very close to the Wicky concertina, except for the mirror image left hand because I didn't get used to it with the Beaumont. And maybe with a keyboard shape closer to the bandoneon because it seems quite difficult to reach all the buttons on the Wicki concertina.

I used to think I wanted a Hayden with 55 or 64 buttons (mine has 46). Then this happened, and I realized I was perfectly happy with what I had.

Waouh, that's the range that I'd like to get but if the instrument is so difficult to play I agree that it's better to have less buttons. I'd like to know if it's because of the large number of buttons that it's so difficult to pump the bellow. Do you know who actually bought this instrument?

I'd like to know if it's because of the large number of buttons that it's so difficult to pump the bellow.

I think it’s because of the large cross-sectional area. You have to press (or pull) harder to generate the same pressure because your effort is distributed over a larger area. Pressure = force / area.

Do you know who actually bought this instrument?

Jim Bayliss, from Texas. In the picture here, he is in the back with the white T-shirt. The instrument is toward the right, the biggest one on the table.

• 3 weeks later...