Advice For Swaledale First-Timer?

Cheers, everyone.

My wife has been campaigning for a trip to the UK for some time, and I'd also like to vist. So, in mid-May we plan to make our way over the pond for several weeks. Of course I was going to give a shout anyway to the many friends I've made here and want to meet in person, but I wondered about organized events and the Workshop thread gave me some ideas. I think I can finish my teaching so that we can get there in time to come to Swaledale, which sounds great. Of course the host lodge is already booked up, and for someone who doesn't aspire to drive a hire car it sounds a bit challenging to get to. Any advice (specific or general) from those in the know? Regards,

Ken

The host lodge is booked up because Swaledale Squeeze have booked it! Keep checking their facebook page. to see when booking starts and they get their website up. They're currently talking about mid March, As to getting to Grinton, try Google. I just did and got a weird and wonderful collection of buses and trains with a walk up the hill from Grinton to the Lodge itself. Trouble is that some of the events - ceilidh and final concert are in Reeth - a few miles away.

The event starts on the Friday night and you have to be out of your accommodation on Sunday morning at 10.00 although classes continue til 12.30. Best thing to do would be to hire a car and spend a few days in Reeth itself - get a self catering cottage - it's a lovely part of the world.

I went a few years ago as a neophyte, and can't recommend it enough. I took the train to Darlington, then intended to take the bus to Reeth. I missed my bus connection in Richmond so went into a pub for a pint, where they recommended taking a cab for the rest of the trip. It wasn't expensive, and the taxi driver was a wonderful tour guide. I realized as we started up the long, steep grade from Reeth up to the lodge that my planned hike for the last mile or so wouldn't have been much fun. Once I was there, there were multiple offers of rides into Reeth from other squeezers who were happy to accommodate a colonial. Playing for a local Ceilidh dance in the Reeth village hall was a highlight of the weekend. And the beauty of the area was so impressive that I am planning to stay there again this summer.

Edited by Bill N

Thank you for the many suggestions. Sounds like we need to make it happen! I'm not on Facebook but my wife is so we'll check it. John, thanks for reminding me about the festival list; I'd forgotten about it. When looking at it I do have to keep a good map handy, as the location of most place names in the British Isles are unknown to me. B)

Ken