My First Concertina

Music Nut

I just ordered my first concertina yesterday of eBay. It's a 30-key Anglo. If I'm just starting is it bad to start with a 30-key? And also, are there any books for the 30-key concertina. I know eBay probably wasn't a good place to get the instrument but it was inexpensive so I said to myself, "If the price is that low, I might as well get it." Did I make a mistake?

I just ordered my first concertina yesterday of eBay.  It's a 30-key Anglo.  If I'm just starting is it bad to start with a 30-key?  And also, are there any books for the 30-key concertina.

Of the anglo variety I think that you've made a good choice in getting a 30-key over one with less buttons. OTOH, there are several types of concertinas and you might find yourself more comfortable with another type, but for starters, I think you've done well!

There are many places to go for books. Many music stores carry one or two beginning concertina books. Some stores that specialize in squeezeboxes or "folk" instruments carry a lot of concertina books, are knowledgeable about them and can steer you in one way or the other depending upon your skill, type of music you'd like to play and what type of concertina you have. If your local store isn't helpful, let us know where you live and someone here may be able to suggest the closest place to check out. You can also order books on-line as well. If you're in the US The Button Box carries just about all the concertina books there are in publication. :rolleyes:

Folks here on concertina.net can also help point you in the "right" direction.

And there's a "Search" function of this site to find postings on tutor or method books by keying in tutor +books or something similar.

Happy hunting and sweet squeezings!

Thanks for the advice. I'll take that into account. I do have another question though. I read some the articles about how to hold, support, etc. the concertina and it sounds like I'm in for a little bit of a challenge. How is easy (or hard) is the concertina to learn? I know it's no cakewalk; I'm taking mandolin lessons right now and it's not that easy. What have I gotten myself in to?

If it speaks to you, it won't matter how difficult you find the little box in the beginning. The virus will take hold.

My dad brought my brother home a German 20 button from a European trip when I was 10. Brother "honked" on it once and rolled it across the floor. I picked it up and fell in love. Have had an embarassing attraction to red pearloid ever since.

Pick it up an' have a go!

Edited by Mark Evans

I agree with Mark Richard and Jim,to have a go.

My suggestion would be to initially learn the basics of twenty buttons that will be the middle and bottom rows and gradually as you advance start utalising the top accidental row.You have to initially decide what type of music you would like to play eg Irish,English etc and obtain the right tutor for that style of music.

Good luck and welcome to our very nice World.

Al

On the question of difficulty, I find it to be the easiest and hardest instrument I've ever played at the same time. Of course, that's the lure for me.

Once you play the little beastie, you won't be able to let it go. I doubt I'll ever actually be what people consider "good", but it sure won't stop my from playing every chance I get.

Every time I pick up mine, the old song from Sesame Street comes to mind (Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear, just sing...sing a song).

The thing is more addictive than caffine (the only drug I'll admit to now that I'm a father).

Good luck and just enjoy the ride.

Okay - here's my first post ...I'm in the same beginner boat, but with a different twist. I've played clarinet, sax and guitar, but never anything like a concertina. I'm quite fond of English and Irish folk music, chanties, and Zydeco music, so I got interested in the instrument. I have NO experience, and a limited budget. What do you think I should buy in terms of ease of learning, and playing only for my own pleasure( I don't intend to ever perform with it!) Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Greg

Hard to go wrong with a 20 button to start. They can be had for short money. Most will be a nigthmare of sticking buttons however but it's all part of the "fun".

I'd stay away from any of the entry level insturments that are used. They are most certainly disposable instruments and likely in rough shape. If it bites you hard, an upgrade will be in the offing.

You mentioned Zydeco...concertina won't give you the sound for that (kinda but not really). A melodion would be your road there (good bit more money for one of those). However, my favorite Zydeco artist is Buckwheat Zydeco and he gets it on with a PA (Piano Accordion). I've just blasphemed here, but it's true. Buckwheat rocks! B)

Welcome!

Edited by Mark Evans

Hard to go wrong with a 20 button to start.  They can be had for short money.  Most will be a nigthmare of sticking buttons however but it's all part of the "fun".

I'd stay away from any of the entry level insturments that are used.  They are most certainly disposable instruments and likely in rough shape.  If it bites you hard, an upgrade will be in the offing. 

You mentioned Zydeco...concertina won't give you the sound for that (kinda but not really).  A melodion would be your road there (good bit more money for one of those).  However, my favorite Zydeco artist is Buckwheat Zydeco and he gets it on with a PA (Piano Accordion).  I've just blasphemed here, but it's true.  Buckwheat rocks! B)

Welcome!

Buckwheat does, indeed, rock! I also just saw Beausoleil in concert with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band last saturday night and they both were amazing!

I realize the difference in the musical styles I listed, but again,I'm not really looking for a specific "sound". This struck me as a good jumping-off point in terms of investment and ease.

Edited by RELCOLLECT

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I'll sound off.

I once knew a guy who collected swords. His appartment was full of them from machettes to claymores. I was impressed, but I'm just not that militaristic. I didn't play much, but decided I should start collecting musical insturments on a low budget. So I have a small acoustic guitar, a cheap strat, a strange chinese banjo, a D penny whistle, a marine band harmonica, a snare drum, a toy piano, this and that.

About ten years ago I got a small raise at work and quickly blew it for a couple months on a Hohner D-40, which of course is the cheapest of the cheap in 20 button anglos. Like most of my collection, I played with it more than I could be said to actually play it. It mostly sat on the shelf. I never showed the dedication to really learn to properly play any of the things in the collection more than learning a couple of guitar chords.

Then at Winter Solstice, my wife (who aquired me not long after I aquired the hohner) got me the Mad for Trad tutorial CD as a shot in the dark, as I'm horrible to buy gifts for but already had the instrument.

The CD did a couple things for me. First, it gave me a performance and sheet music to follow along on, so that I started to learn to read music. Second, it gave me a few simple tunes to get me started on playing. After the first couple weeks I got bored with the stuff on the CD, because it's just a few tunes and the Hohner and I aren't good enough yet to do the more advanced stuff. But since I'd learned to read music just enough (at least in C/G) I was able to find more things to play on line and that's kept me amused and I continue to practice things daily. I've made particular use of http://thesession.org. They have lots of sheet music for various tunes.

My opinion is that the Hohner is a poor insturment. It leaks air. Buttons stick. The air button is positioned such that if my fingers are on the other buttons, my thumb would need to be an inch longer to press it. It has a 12 fold bellows to make up for some of it's shortcomings, but not all of them. And it's a 20 button. When you cast about for music, you often try to play things you are familiar with. I tried to play Jethro Tull's Bouree once, and found that the sixth note of the piece is a sharp that I don't have. Even for noodling about, I think it would be nice to have a 30 button, even if it was of no better quality than the D-40.

But I have what I have, and I can't see running out and buying a performance quality instrument (or even a cheap 30 button) when my history is to play with something for a few months and then shelve it. So my plan is to get as good as I can get on the Hohner. (Maybe I'll try to tinker a lever to press the air button from a more ergonomic point. Maybe not.) If I can show myself that I'm going to stick with it, then in six or eight months, maybe I can get a better quality 30 button insturment.

Boy that Morse Ceili looks cute.

Dan

Edited by Dan 04617

Okay, I'll sound off.

I once knew a guy who collected swords.  His appartment was full of them from machettes to claymores.  I was impressed, but I'm just not that militaristic.  I didn't play much, but decided I should start collecting musical insturments on a low budget.  So I have a small acoustic guitar, a cheap strat, a strange chinese banjo, a D penny whistle, a marine band harmonica, a snare drum, a toy piano, this and that.

Is that strange chinese banjo really a Japanese samisen or sanchin (sp??) perhaps? These are two closely related "Japanese" (the quotes are because I think they are maybe actually belonging to aboriginal people from Japan who might object to being called Japanese) folk instruments that are really very like banjos in sound but look a little different. My boyfriend is always studying about minority groups in Japan, this is what brought it to mind. Also, as a banjo player I'm always interested in other banjo-like instuments.

Cheers!

Gretchen, I bought it in a department store in Hong Kong in '91 for $20US. I was just passing through, but the place seemed to cater to locals. The banjo is cast aluminum body, bamboo nut, and poorly attached neck. The frets stand about 3/16" tall off the face of the fretboard, and are not evenly spaced to form any sort of regular intervals no matter how it's tuned. It has four strings and cheap machine tuners. There's a cast aluminum butterfly guard/rest projecting over the top of the drum head. It's really more ornament than instrument.

Dan

Edited by Dan 04617

I have ... a strange chinese banjo ...

Is that strange chinese banjo really a Japanese samisen or sanchin (sp??) perhaps?

Gretchen, I bought it in a department store in Hong Kong in '91 for $20US. ... The banjo is cast aluminum body, bamboo nut, and poorly attached neck. The frets stand about 3/16" tall off the face of the fretboard, and are not evenly spaced to form any sort of regular intervals no matter how it's tuned. It has four strings and cheap machine tuners. There's a cast aluminum butterfly guard/rest projecting over the top of the drum head. It's really more ornament than instrument.

That sounds just like an inexpensive model of the Chinese "Chin Chin" that I have seen several times. Lark in the Morning sell a more expensive version, with a wooden body, for $130.00.