Wanted: Old Leather Concertina Case

magpie

I'm in search of one of those old leather concertina cases, used for Jeffries and the like.

What's your purpose?

If you want it for an existing instrument, you should probably specify dimensions. On the other hand, if you want one to take apart so that you can learn to make your own, top condition may not be a priority.

Good luck.

Dear Magpie, just a note of caution. The old original leather concertina cases when upright placed the instruments on one end, and this could result in all the valves on the other end sagging. And the cases were frequently so tight that they would rub on the bellows and wooden ends. So if you intend to have one for regular use with a Concertina (not advisable), you should make sure the case has plenty of clearance for your instrument and make a reliable and safe modification to the case so that the case and concertina will instead sit on its side.

Good luck with your hunt.

Ross Schlabach

Aha - good tips everybody. I've always been advised that as I have a Jeffries with curved handrests it might be an even tighter squeeze! Well I'll see what I can dig up - I do a bit of leather work and like projects! I imagine if it has a handle up the side then the positioning should be fine for the concertina to be carried/sit on the ground with both ends.

I concur with Ross Schlabach and would draw special attention to his remark that "you should make sure the case has plenty of clearance for your instrument..." Jeffiries leather cases have shrunk a little over time and usually cause the concertina to fit extremely tightly. We know better than to expand concertina bellows without depressing a key, but that is exactly what can happen from trying to pull a Jeffries concertina from one of the old Jeffries leather cases.

I can provide you with one of the old Jeffires cases. Just send me a personal message and we will work out sending it to your Ireland address at a very reasonable price. (First, I'll send you a photo of the case.)

My Jeffries concertinas are in modern hard-shell cases made by Greg Jowaisas. If you get the case from me, I would advise using it as a handbag (which my wife once did) rather than as a concertina case, and keeping your Jeffries concertina in a horizontal hard-shell case,

Edited by Dowright