Thomas Dawkins

molloyj

I have a lachenal 31 key C/G anglo with the sticker saying it was made by "Thomas Dawkins & Co" of 7 Charterhouse St London. I am interested in finding out more about this fellow and to get any ideas about opinions about his concertinas. Any one got any history here? This one is made about 1895 if the number calculation is correct. The number of the concertina is 90499 which dates to 1926 using Merediths method (as outlined on Concertina.net).

Anyway I am interested in any history about this block if anyones knowns anything. Ta......

• 2 years later...
I have a lachenal 31 key C/G anglo with the sticker saying it was made by "Thomas Dawkins & Co" of 7 Charterhouse St London. I am interested in finding out more about this fellow and to get any ideas about opinions about his concertinas. Any one got any history here? This one is made about 1895 if the number calculation is correct. The number of the concertina is 90499 which dates to 1926 using Merediths method (as outlined on Concertina.net).

Anyway I am interested in any history about this block if anyones knowns anything. Ta......

Hi my name is patrick i am sorry to say i have no history about Thomas himself, but i have a Thomas Dawkins concertina in my opinion i think it works excellently. I really want to go and see if the shop or relics of the shop if it is not still there and i believe it to be at 17 Charterhouse Street london. Unlike your concertina my sticker is very old and i can barely make it out. Mine has a price and his name on it but no number of it.

I am also very interested in finding about the Thomas Dawkins & Co so if anyone has anything about him post it.

• 2 years later...

I have an English concertina with 48 keys with a label which reads "THOMAS DAWKINS & C°, Manufacturers, 17 Charterhouse Street

LONDON". I am a beginner in Concertina history, but I was told it is maybe a Lachenal since it has the same wood design on the ends than the 1880's cheap Lachenal's. It is in rosewood.

Could someone help me to date it ? it has a number inside the bellows : "23678".

Thanks !

I have an English concertina with 48 keys with a label which reads "THOMAS DAWKINS & C°, Manufacturers, 17 Charterhouse Street

LONDON". I am a beginner in Concertina history, but I was told it is maybe a Lachenal since it has the same wood design on the ends than the 1880's cheap Lachenal's. It is in rosewood.

Could someone help me to date it ? it has a number inside the bellows : "23678".

Thanks !

Mid 1870s.

Thanks !

Mid 1870s.

I have a listing that he was a flute, MIs, Flagalots, and claironet makers. so he probably was a dealer. The Charterhouse address is listed from 1884-1905, the buisness was from 1851-1925 according to The New Langwill index. It is funny as I just looked it up, regarding a Dawkin 7 key flute on eBay, just a hour ago... Wierd.

Jon

Edited by Jon C.

• 8 months later...

I am confused (easily done) by this thread..........are people saying that Dawkins really manufactured concertinas ...

Neil,

That may depend on your definition of "manufacture", since OEM manufacturing is nothing new (except the term itself... :huh: )

... or did he just re-badge Lachenal concertinas? :(

Thomas Dawkins, in common with many others of his time, sold instruments of all kinds that were branded (by their actual makers) with the name of his shop. His concertinas were produced for him by Lachenal's.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Could anyone please suggest how much one of these Dawkins concertinas (serial no. 58072) with 24 keys is worth if its in working order? Am I also right in thinking that this serial number dates it to around 1900?

Thank you!

Alex

Edited by alex20

• 11 months later...

Just to firm things up regarding Thomas Dawkins:

I purchased a 48K english, labelled "Thomas Dawkins, Manufacturer...". When disassembling it for repair, the little round Dawkins label fell off, and 'lo and behold, underneath is another label "Louis Lachenal...Manufacturer, London".

No truth in advertising in those days. Dawkins just stuck his own label over top of Lachenal's.

I purchased a 48K english, labelled "Thomas Dawkins, Manufacturer...". When disassembling it for repair, the little round Dawkins label fell off, and 'lo and behold, underneath is another label "Louis Lachenal...Manufacturer, London".

No truth in advertising in those days. Dawkins just stuck his own label over top of Lachenal's.

And the serial number is? And the Dawkins address is?

• 2 weeks later...

And the serial number is? And the Dawkins address is?

The serial number is 17219, the address is Little Warner Street. Nothing much unusual about the concertina, 4F, BR, rosewood ends. The fretwork cutting is a bit finer than some, and the rosewood is a cut above average, plus it has a wood baffle(?) rather than cloth lining.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I currently have in my possession a Thomas Dawkins EC, Brass Reeded 48K, serial number 17010 and address 6,7,8 Little Warner Street, Clerkenwell, London E.C. Plays really sweetly, But the minute I saw it it simply screamed Lachenal at me. So what date would that be?

Sam

Edited by samper