Sign in to follow this  
richard

How Do Concertina Reeds Go Out Of Tune?

On 11/29/2017 at 10:32 AM, alex_holden said:

I could be wrong, but an instrument I was working on seemed to go slightly out of tune when I adjusted the action to make the button heights consistent, thus altering the heights the pads lifted to.

This is a good point you  make, Alex.

I tend to do servicing in this this order: renew pads (and any springs), renew valves, adjust action set, tune reeds

Edited by SteveS

On 11/29/2017 at 8:37 PM, d.elliott said:

However the most common cause over time, is the phenomena of work hardening ... this makes the reed 'spring' stronger and more difficult to move under the influence air flow. A situation which can flatten the reed pitch.

I would have thought that work hardening would make the reed stiffer and hence raise the pitch rather than flatten it.

When I received my new Holden a few months ago the whole instrument seemed to drift sharp as I played it in. A mechanical engineering friend of mine suggested work hardening as the most likely cause. It was re-tuned within a couple of months and has been pretty well stable since then.

LJ