Scandinavian Squeeze-in

I am busy this year, but I took a look at RyanAir flights from Stansted to Malmo, I could have booked a Friday to Sunday return for £10.98! Now that's what I call a bargain! Will 2006 SSI be around the same time of year? If so, I will keep the time free.

Derek

Same time every year, bsg!

A "concertina house"? Now there's something I could use!

I certainly wish I could open the bellows right now to create more space.

You need a 4 dimensional house as in "And he built crooked house" by Robert Heinlein. 8 times as much space for the same ground plan!

A 4 dimensional concertina would be fun too!

RobinMadge

A "concertina house"? Now there's something I could use!

I certainly wish I could open the bellows right now to create more space.

You need a 4 dimensional house as in "And he built crooked house" by Robert Heinlein.

I'm not so sure about that. Remember how that story ended?!

Besides, the connections among the various bits of music I have scattered around already form a many-dimensional non-Euclidean, discontinuous space... and the connectivity matrix probably isn't even symmetric. It hasn't helped.

A 4 dimensional concertina would be fun too!

Aargh! NO!!

First off, you'd need extra arms to manipulate the parts going into the new dimension. I really don't think genetic engineering should be a prerequisite to playing the concertina. B) It's bad enough already with anglos-on-steroids, i.e., Chemnitzers and bandonions. :ph34r:

And I'm not sure how to design a bellows that includes folding in that additional dimension, but you can't leave it as it is, because it would be completely open between inside and outside along the new direction. The ultimate leaky bellows! :(

• 2 weeks later...
I am busy this year, but I took a look at RyanAir flights from Stansted to Malmo, I could have booked a Friday to Sunday return for £10.98! Now that's what I call a bargain! Will 2006 SSI be around the same time of year? If so, I will keep the time free.

Our "rule" is to always hold the SSI the last full weekend in April.

In 2006 that will be April 28-30.

See you there, Derek? :)

• 1 month later...
For those who haven't seen it yet, here is a link to Jim's announcement of this year's SSSI. I like to think of it as a Concertina House Party ...

If you're one of those who was waiting to confirm, then got distracted and missed the deadline, you're not too late. The official "deadline" for registering has passed, but we haven't filled to capacity, so we've "extended" it.

Or maybe somebody needs convincing that it's worthwhile? It's one of the highlights of my own year. I'm surprised that other past attendees who are returning haven't said more about their experiences. After all, the more, the merrier. :)

Or maybe somebody needs convincing that it's worthwhile?  It's one of the highlights of my own year.

Last year I visited the SSI for the first time and what a time I did have! Great surroundings, relaxed atmosphere and very very friendly and nice people. On top of that a lot of concertina's and a lot of concertina-playing!

This first visit has split my (concertina-)life in two parts:

• Pre-SSI life in which I enjoyed myself with my concertina and never met a concertina player.

• Post-SSI life with new concertina horizon: friends and a lot of new inspiration and motivation!

I'm surprised that other past attendees who are returning haven't said more about their experiences.  After all, the more, the merrier. :)

Well I think that most of the participants could be a little reluctant to give this precious secret away?? :unsure:

Or maybe somebody needs convincing that it's worthwhile?  It's one of the highlights of my own year.

Last year I visited the SSI for the first time and what a time I did have! Great surroundings, relaxed atmosphere and very very friendly and nice people. On top of that a lot of concertina's and a lot of concertina-playing!

This first visit has split my (concertina-)life in two parts:

• Pre-SSI life in which I enjoyed myself with my concertina and never met a concertina player.

• Post-SSI life with new concertina horizon: friends and a lot of new inspiration and motivation!

I'm surprised that other past attendees who are returning haven't said more about their experiences.  After all, the more, the merrier. :)

Well I think that most of the participants could be a little reluctant to give this precious secret away?? :unsure:

Henk, a lot of praise and kind words that was. As I participant in SSI in 2001, 2002 and 2004 I can only agree with you!

For me, 2005 will be a special treat, since my participation in c.net has woven its own, invisible web (excuse the pun) around me and I now feel in much closer contact with the folks I will see in Torna Hällestad.

So get on your planes and trains, in your cars, on your bikes and head for Southern Sweden, where the elk/moose runs wild and fiddlers play haunting tunes in the nude (sorry, guys, male fiddlers) in the middle of the cold creeks!

(They actually do, but later - a couple of months from now. Clearly something a sensible concertina player would never do).

See you there :) :) :)

Henrik

So get on your planes and trains, in your cars, on your bikes and head for Southern Sweden, where the elk/moose runs wild and fiddlers play haunting tunes in the nude (sorry, guys, male fiddlers) in the middle of the cold creeks!

On Friday morning at about 6:30 I'll get in my car, heading for Sweden. I will bring some Belgian beer (at least "Duvel" for Chris and maybe "Straffe Hendrik" for Henrik :) ).

Looks like we will have sunshine during the weekend!

HOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWL :(

I wanna go!

:(  :(  :(

And there's no way to miss a couple of days from work?

What would they do if you were suffering from an illness?

Well, you will be... suffering from depression. And there is one simple cure. ;)

(Hmm. Would your medical plan cover the air fare?)

Er, Henrik, what have you been drinking? I've seen male fiddlers at the SSI, but all of them, I am glad to say, fully clothed (sorry, gals).

Counting down the hours to the session in the bar at Torna Hällestad. As of now, there's just 84 to go ...

Chris

Hmm.  I think that translates as "Punish Henrik", or "Henrik's Punishment".

We'd better not ask what's in it. B)

Jim,

Some words on the meaning of the Dutch word "straf". In >99% of the usage it indeed means "punishment". The other meaning of the word is "strong". In this meaning the word is still used in the dutch speaking part of Belgium.

In the Netherlands it is only used in "marine" language. So "straffe wind" is used by sailors etc. to indicate a strong wind.

"Straffe Hendrik" means strong Hendriks in a sense that it contains more alcohol than "normal" beer.

Some words on the meaning of the Dutch word "straf". In >99% of the usage it indeed means "punishment". The other meaning of the word is "strong". In this meaning the word is still used in the dutch speaking part of Belgium.

In the Netherlands it is only used in "marine" language. So "straffe wind" is used by sailors etc. to indicate a strong wind.

English-speaking sailors do sometimes speak of a "punishing" wind.

Similar variations in meaning can be found in most languages.

In Danish, "vold" means "violence", and "voldsom(t)" means "violent", but is also used simply to mean "strong", as in "strong" -- but not necessarily "violent" -- disagreement.

Then there are the words we call homonyms, where the same sounds -- and sometimes even the same spelling -- can have voldsomt different meanings. An English example would be "stock", which can mean

... 1) cattle

... 2) a share of ownership in a corporation

... 3) a device for restraining a person, as a means of punishment

... 4) a stout stick or staff (oops! there's another)

But I inserted that thought because "vold" is a Danish example. At one time I was quite puzzled by the Copenhagen street name "Vestervoldgade". Why would anybody want to name a street "West Violence Street"?! Then I discovered that "vold" also means "moat", and I'm told there used to be one where the street now runs. :P