Wanted

tony

Alex, I think your speculations about the cause of your button problems are off the mark.
agreed, I was hypothesizing. Something is making them sluggish.
  In particular, I wouldn't consider the sluggishness to be typical of Lachenal instruments in general,
Mr. Chambers disagrees...
and I would expect it to be curable.  Have you had yours looked at by a professional restorer?

Last year at this time I sent it to the Button Box for repairs because it became unplayable. If you are curious, you can read the details from this post about it from last year:

More Problems With My Maccann Duet, This time more serious

In addition to those necessary repairs, I had them do "the works". When it came back, everything about it was vastly improved. Not only was it playable, but the button action was better. But the button action still does not compare to that of my Tedrow, Edgley or Tedrow-Modified Stagi. It is amazing how much difference a fraction of a second makes. "Not fair!" cries the Lachenal: "I was created before any of your grandparents were born!"

As for your fingers slipping off the buttons, that should only happen if you're not striking straight down when you press the buttons.  I recommend always striking straight down.

Yes, of course, that is a simple matter of physics and geometry, but it is not humanly possible to get the exact center of every finger to line up with the exact center of the button in a motion exactly in line with the button 100% of the time unless one plays very slowly. All of the other concertinas are much more forgiving.

I expect the Wheatstone buttons will be as small as those on the Lachenal, 4-5 mm in diameter, metal, with slightly rounded tops.

5mm would be an improvement! One millimeter does make a difference. I wish I had some measuring callipers right now, but with this ruler, the Lachenal's buttons show to be just under 4mm, and those of the other 'tinas are all greater than 5mm. I don't think the term "button" is appropriate for what the Lachenal has -- they are better described as "pins".

Anyway, after reading your message, I was convinced that I should not bother bidding on the Wheatstone and was going to forget about it. But then Mr. Chambers offered a second opinion, so maybe I just might.

The springs in a Lachenal always need to be harder due to the "hook action" they used, whereby the spring not only keeps the pad closed, but also holds the lever in place against its pivot, whilst a Wheatstone-style riveted action can be sprung more lightly as the spring is only performing one task.

Another significant difference is that Wheatstone buttons are much lighter in weight, consisting of a wooden, or plastic, base with a thin metal cap, whereas Lachenal's are hollow metal with a metal crown, which means the Wheatstone buttons, as well as springing, are much easier on your fingers.

That sounds like the Wheatstone is better.

However, from your description I'm wondering if your Lachenal might have been modified and perhaps someone has added solid brass buttons to an instrument that once had bone ones ? For one thing metal buttons should always be bushed, not rubbing against the woodwork, for anther Lachenal's used nickel, not brass, and the ends were not "pointy".

Well, actually there are bushings on most of them, but the bushing layer between the button and the inside of the holes is so small, the bushings do not appear to be as effective as those on other instruments. For some of the buttons, I can feel them rub against the wood though. I am not sure if the buttons are solid brass, but the look like brass to me, since they are that color. I exageratted the pointyness of them, but they are rounded, and when something that narrow and smooth is rounded, it can deflect the finger, so it might as well be considered pointy.

Anyway, you did make a case that the Wheatstone might be easier on the fingers, and that it has the same riveted action as the concertinas that I like, so I might just bid on the that one. I hope nobody else does.