Dickinson Anglo Video (With Thanks To Alan Day)

We may not need another version of 'Nightingale' but here's mine anyway. This is a Dickinson Anglo S/N 60010 with the 'Dickinson Brothers Great Linford' metal label. When Steve applied for the use of Wheatstone from Boosey & Hawkes they asked to see a sample of Steves work and this was the instrument he sent. Needless to say it 'passed'. Its now in Bb/F. Its well travelled having circumnavigated the globe on many occasions when I was a ships R/O (QE2) this photo of the best dressed box player showing that a concertina will attract the attention of elegant ladies! (Nurse on hand too.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpvgZM-XtZc

https://www.dropbox.com/s/blwfx12ylbk9yse/wardyconcertina.jpg?dl=0

Edited by Willum

"this photo of the best dressed box player showing that a concertina will attract the attention of elegant ladies! (Nurse on hand too.)​" Nice playing and nice picture even holding the concertina the right way up in the photo! David.

Now there's a name from the past, Willum, though you probably won't remember me.. Met you when I lived in Plymouth c.1970, and again in Auckland c.1977 when I was playing for the (then) newly formed City of Auckland Morris.

Nice arrangement of Nightingale, a bit different to the way I play it though. I learned it by ear, but must get hold of the sheet music sometime and/or study your chords which I think are more interesting than my interpretation.

Glad to hear you're still squeezing.

Hello Malcolm old bean, Yes of course I remember you, those days at Plymouth Poly with Gerry Beldon and other squeezers such as Derrick Carter, whose still playing with the Plym Maids, as well as the QE2 visit to Auckland with Chris the Squire who I met at Sidmouth years later I donated my Lionel Bacon. I'm fine, approaching 65 but pretty fit. I married the QE2's Harpist Sarah Deere-Jones (all over YouTube like a rash) and we live in N.Cornwall I design Electronics and still play the Anglo and Melodeon and with the Plymouth reunion Morris.

I worked out 'Nightingale' myself after hearing Alan Day play it so it'll be a bit different from his and yours no doubt. Funny story. I was driving my Mum mad trying to work out the middle bit when it changes key so took the box out in my car to practise it. Parked up in a layby with a view, and in the next car was a bloke with a tenor sax.

I'll raise a glass to you this evening.... Cheers!

Willum