Hot Glue Gun Or Pva

I'm new to concertina repairs, PVA seems the obvious choice when fitting chamois leather to the chamber tops, and hot glue when fitting pads to ends of levers. Is this reasonable? Also I was wondering what type of felt to use to line the holes in the buttons to take the lever ends. I bought some 1.5mm red felt but its a bit too thick. Phil N.Cornwall with a well knackered Wheatstone English to fettle.

I have never heard of using hot glue for any parts inside a concertina, and would not recommend it! PVA for attaching pads to the washer/gromets on the end of levers. Hide glue is used for many wood joints in a concertina (and other things, like valves), but that's entirely different from hot glue.

Edited by wayman

Though, confusingly, I've sometimes heard woodworkers refer to hot hide glue (as opposed to liquid hide glue) as 'hot glue'. The advantage of hide glue over PVA is that it's easily removable the next time the same part needs replacing.

I have used 0.85mm piano bushing cloth for button bushes. Technically it isn't felt, it's a woven cloth.

Chamois leather needs to be removed, rarely admittedly, so PVA is not appropriate, I use a gum arabic, but any water soluble nature gum / glue is appropriate.

PVA is used on the Rochell and Jackie products for pad glueing, I would recomend the PVA rapid set (green bottle) however.

The bushing felt MUST be woven felt, cut on the bias. not needle felt as it is not robust enough.

There is a book (which modesty forbids me to mention) which may help

Once chamois leather has been moistened to free/remove it, it dries quite hard and loses its gasket properties.

Is there anyway to restore it to its pre-moistened state?

Edited by Don Taylor