Computer As Accompanist

Samantha

Oooh oooh! I'm so excited! I've just played through a piece that I've entered in the local music competition (which will take place mid-March) with my computer accompanying me! It's such a thrill!

My BF put the piano accompaniment into Sibelius for practice purposes and I'm delighted at how well it works! You can change the speed so at the moment we're rehearsing it a little under speed.

If you want to know the piece is Captain Wyke's Dance from volume two of A Wessex Tune book pub Schott 1963 (arranged for recorder, or violin, or oboe .... or ...... well, it didn't say so, but it works great on concertina). One of the other tunes is Copenhagen Waltz .... perhaps I'll practice this for the Scandinavian Squeeze in ;) !

One of the other tunes is Copenhagen Waltz .... perhaps I'll practice this for the Scandinavian Squeeze in  ;) !

The Copenhagen Waltz I have in an old American fiddle book is pretty simple, not one I'd expect as a competition piece. 3 parts, in D; does it sound like the same one?

The book I just mentioned is published by Carl Fischer in New York, but is undated. I found this surprising, since I thought it had been standard practice in the US since about 1850 for printed books of all sorts to include a copyright date, and often the publishing date noted separately, even if they're the same. But this book doesn't look quite that old.

So I did a Google search on "Violin Player's Pastime" and "Fischer", and came up with two results, both bibliographical references. Both contain a listing for:

... DeVille, Paul & Gold, Maurice (c. 1900). The Violin Player's Pastime. New York.

It seems probable that this is the same book I have, though my copy of the book also doesn't give the authors' names. But hmm, doesn't that first name look familiar? Well, the same bibliographies also list:

... deVille, Paul (1905), The Concertina and How to Play It. New York: Carl Fischer Inc. 62 Cooper Square, New York, NY 10003

Note the postal ZIP code. Though originally published in 1905, I believe this book is still in print. It's the one so often seen on eBay described as "from 1905", but I doubt that any of those copies are from the original printing, and most are probably post-1950. B)

Ah, but there's more. For those of us with the intersecting interests of concertinas and contradance, there is also a listing for:

... DeVille, Paul (1905). The Universal Contradance Album. New York.

Well, that was fun! :)

One of the other tunes is Copenhagen Waltz .... perhaps I'll practice this for the Scandinavian Squeeze in  ;) !

The Copenhagen Waltz I have in an old American fiddle book is pretty simple, not one I'd expect as a competition piece. 3 parts, in D; does it sound like the same one?

I am entering the festival non-competitively, and the pieces I have chosen are not competition set pieces. My other piece is the Arran Air from O'Neill's 1850 tunes, which I will play unaccompanied.

My Copenhagen Waltz is in G.

Me - I like simple pieces :rolleyes: .

One of the other tunes is Copenhagen Waltz ....

The Copenhagen Waltz I have in an old American fiddle book is ... 3 parts, in D...

My Copenhagen Waltz is in G.

Hmm. I've found three versions of "the dots" on the internet, and two versions in ABC, and I have it in two books. They are all clearly the same tune, though there are minor differences. Two versions are in C, three in D, and one in G. That doesn't add up because one of the internet versions is a photocopy of one of my books, so I didn't count it twice. They're different editions, though, since on this tune they differ slightly (both have errors, but the errors are different), though the other tunes, text, and page number are identical.

A couple of the other interesting things I discovered along the way:

... One of the internet versions is from The Complete Preceptor for the Accordeon, by Elias Howe, Jr., 1843. (And I think this is the same Elias Howe who is credited with inventing the sewing machine.)

... There's a listing of a copy of Copenhagen Waltz among Thomas Jefferson's music. (It's not one of the copies I found reproduced.)

... A quote from The New Purchase; or, Seven and a Half years in the Far West by Robert Carlton, Esq. [pseud.], Volume 1

"At length a jew pedlar with a design of selling the article as well as gratifying a musical penchant, exhibited -- not to our eyes, it was an Egyptian night within -- but to our ears, a musical snuff box, if not enchanting yet certainly enchanted, as it possessed the art of self-winding, to judge from the endless and merciless repetitions and alternations of the Copenhagen Waltz and Yankee Doodle."

... There's a bibliographical listing of sheet music for: "T. L. Holden, The Copenhagen Waltz with Variations (1811-17)" I'm curious about the variations, but unfortunately it's only a reference, not the actual music.

Samantha

I just had double fun with your mail. I looked at it for a split second as a complete outsider without any knowledge of the "jargon".

My BF put the piano accompaniment into Sibelius

Huh? Put something into Sibelius?

The man is already dead for some time??

After the split second I realized it is musical software, but then came the next one:

Using a BF to put something into computer software??

Some sort of a microphone? an amplifier? electronic auxiliary?

This took more than a split second (I'm Dutch).

After some seconds I realised that this "unknown but very usefull device" is in fact a Boy Friend :lol: :lol:

BTW: Henrik is indeed the SSI Henrik (with the "musical caterpillar")

Have fun

Henk (yes it's me!)