Sign in to follow this  
ben

Koot Brits - R.i.p.

South Africa's Boer music world lost a fantastic anglo concertina player and concertina builder today (June 20) - Koot Brits. Koot died from cancer. Koot's real name was Stephanus Jacobus Brits. Koot played in several Boer music bands over the years and recorded several CD albums. He also built approximately 90 anglo concertinas and one English concertina in his life time. Koot tuned and repaired hundreds of Wheatstone and Lachenal anglo concertinas for the Afrikaner Boer music scene. R.I.P.

Very sad news, Ben. Condolences to the family.

Sad Koot Brits concertina owner. Sakkie.

Very sorry to hear the news Ben. A sad loss, both to the Afrikaner Boer music community and to the fraternity of traditional concertina makers.

For those not familiar with Koot, search Koot Brits on youtube.

Geoffrey

Sad news, indeed.

He made wonderful instruments; I was fortunate to be able to play one once. And a superb musician. RIP.

Dan

It was through the playing of Koot Brits - through the medium of YouTube - that I became aware of the fascinating, concertina-centred style of music known as boeremusiek.

Thanks, Koot!

John

I handled one of his instruments once also, quite innovative as I recall, as well as fine to play and to listen to. A real loss.

Chris