I Took The Plunge

otsaku

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so about this squeeze in....

are there many people in attendance and would they notice me confusing a concertina with a tin whistle?

last year it was about 16 concertinists. it was my first time there and if possible I will come this year. It was a great experience last year: nice and friendly people, a relaxed atmosphere, beautiful landscapes and concertina's, concertina's.... :rolleyes:

You can find some information on this website.

and would they notice me confusing a concertina with a tin whistle?

I must apologise for the other members of this forum - they say such silly things all the time, whereas I, of course, speak only in tones of the strictest sobriety and seriousness.

Ahem. ;)

Back to your question. One regular participant who has even led workshops at the SSI only plays fiddle.

Chris

so about this squeeze in....

are there many people in attendance

We're expecting 20-30, hopefully closer to the upper number.

...and would they notice me confusing a concertina with a tin whistle?

I think they would gently restrain you from squeezing the whistle or blowing into the concertina. :)

But if you're asking whether it's OK to bring other instruments, here's a still-valid quote from our SSI2003 main page:

"While our main focus is concertinas, other instruments are welcome, so please bring your bouzouki, bagpipe, bones, or bassoon. Even those without a concertina are welcome, as long as they don't mind our own obsession."
In the accompanying photo (taken at the 2002 SSI) are whistles, bones, bagpipes, a saxophone, fiddles, flute, accordions, and even a bodhran.

I'll certainly be bringing my own whistles, among other things.

I notice that you mentioned bagpipes in the list of "allowed" instuments. Perhaps the sheep have reason to worry.

I remember at Pontardowe festival one year that a Hungarian group had a bagpipe player who claimed to be playing a goat. Apparently they use an entire kid skin as the bag and just insert chanter and drones into the legs. He said that they only last one year as they are not very well tanned!

Robin Madge

I remember at Pontardowe festival one year that a Hungarian group had a bagpipe player who claimed to be playing a goat. Apparently they use an entire kid skin as the bag and just insert chanter and drones into the legs.

The Bulgarian gaida is also generally made like that, from a goat. And the much larger bag of a kaba gaida is made from a cow. This allows one to sing an entire verse of a ballad to the accompaniment of the pipes, then play a riff between verses while reinflating the bag for the next verse.

He said that they only last one year as they are not very well tanned!

Maybe it would help to use mint toffee in the tanning process? :ph34r:

Apparently they use an entire kid skin as the bag and just insert chanter and drones into the legs.

What do they insert into the various other orifices? :o

As noted, the sounding pipes are inserted into the limbs. And the fifth "limb" -- the neck -- is where they put the blow pipe. But I've never seen a set with orifice furniture. :ph34r: