New Concertina Making Company, Wolverton Concertinas

Jake, Mention of your mate John Timpany brings back happy memories of way back in 1979 when we met briefly on a couple of occasions at Grendon during the construction of one of his last C/G Anglos, from which I have been deriving daily pleasure now for the best part of 38 years ! Rod.

Nice work....hope you sell loads of them !

BTW I am a ardent proponent of a lever for the air-release.

Once you've tried them, you wonder why anyone would use a button (key) and I think it was Geoff Crabb who first started me on them.

Robin

Edited by Robin Harrison

Rod I would love to see that anglo one day.

He could only show me his first two prototypes which were quite broken and had been in the attic for like 30 years. If it was one of his last ones you have it is probably quite a bit better than the ones I saw which were only prototypes. It is a shame the bank had to do him such a bad turn, maybe the business would still be around and be making really great stuff now.

Jake, About ten years ago I posted a few photos of my Shire on this website. I'm sure they are still there. A couple of good shots of the ends and a general view of the entire instrument. It has only ever required a few replacement springs and new straps in all that time. My guess Is that it was probably the last in the line as John was already struggling to keep the show on the road. All very sad. Rod.

How far are you from London / St. Albans? Might be fun to stop by for a squeeze or two when I'm in the vicinity next month. (Full disclosure: not in the market. But always interested in improvements in hybrid construction)

not to be a nicky-nitpicky, but the version of "music for a found harmonium" on your sounds page is the patrick street version, or the napoleon dynamite version, if we must. The original penguin cafe orchestra version is in a different key. In all fairness to you, the version you posted is the one more readily accepted and played in sessions, etc.

Jake loaned me a couple of his concertinas for review. I haven't had a chance to write it up yet due to having gorn to Forn Parts and other stuff like that, but I'll have it ready in the next couple of days. Spoiler alert: at the asking price these are a bargain.

Chris