How Is The Anglo Concertina, Handbook Of Tunes And Methods For Irish T

Hey im going to drop around $40 dollars for this book:

The Anglo Concertina, Handbook of Tunes and Methods for Irish Traditional Music.

by frank edgley

The reviews on this book are sparse.... sooo anyone that has it, can you tell me what you think?

Frank has a very thorough understanding of the music and a lot of great hints (e.g. getting started on ornaments) in this book. I enjoyed the tune selection. One thing the price gets you is the recording to go with it; having a recording is helpful to many learners.

Ken

Yes, ornamentation discussion is good, since most books don't discuss them at all.

But you'll need to be able to read music notation (or learn really quickly) since none of the 40 or so tunes show any recommended button numbers or fingering.

Frank's style of playing is much more similar to players like Chris Droney than that of Noel Hill, so a lot more of playing along the G-row as opposed to lots of cross-row fingering.

Great selection of tunes, and it really helps to hear the recording of each one.

Gary

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

4 years later... I am looking again to buy this booklet, looks like it is the only one dealing with Irish tune on a Wheatstone layout 🙂 And I like Edgley style.

I emailed Edgley but I am pretty sure it won't be available... 

Can anyone help me with this ? Any copy for sale ? 

Than you !

Nicolas

Hello Gary, thank you mentioning this, I didn't realize it is Wheatstone layout too 🙂

Just checked...Is there an accompaniment audios for this one ?  (I am still interested if not). 

It is now on my list 😉 

Still looking for the Edgley booklet though.

Nicolas