Stealth Concertina

I must admit that when I saw that one of the finishes was called "sunburst" I was anticipating that it would look similar to the classic Fender sunburst finish used on their electric guitars (example here) - but the concertina is much classier the way it is. The "stealth" box looks gorgeous.

Though a concertina kitted up to follow Rickenbacker style cues, with those fabulous teardrop soundholes... now there's an idea. But probably quite a vulgar idea :)

... I was anticipating that it would look similar to the classic Fender sunburst finish used on their electric guitars ...

[Off-topic drift]

Hmm... what's the concertina equivalent of a Humbucker pickup?

[We now return you to our regularly scheduled topic]

Hmm... what's the concertina equivalent of a Humbucker pickup?

Actually I once wound myself a single pole Humbucking pickup (i.e. two magnets & two coils) to use when tuning reeds. I found it far better than using a microphone as it only picked up the reed vibrations and not ambient noise.

I dread to think of the weight of a concertina with a humbucking pickup on each reed though !

Clive.

Ah Ha! I missed the "Stealth" part altogether. Had assumed it refered to the ebony ends (f-18 Stealth fighter), but the olive drab makes sense (however the gold tooling blows the drab part out o the water! :lol: ).

Vitorian green much brighter...The only Wheatsone I've laid me mitts on from that period had a similar "olive" colored bellows, 'course she was 143 years old and I had several excellent single malts warmin' me outlook on life under the belt :blink: .

Editorial note: Honest, I've no single malt under the hood at this time a' mornin'. Just my "creative" spellin'.....

Edited by Mark Evans

Ah Ha!  I missed the "Stealth" part altogether.  Had assumed it refered to the ebony ends (f-18 Stealth fighter) ...

Do you mean they started to put ebony ends on f-18's ? That must really confuse the enemy radar ! :blink:

I assumed the name derived from the black buttons against the ebony ends - so you can't find 'em ! :angry: (I'm always having that problem, and mine aren't even camouflaged.)

I guess the olive drab is the "finishing touch" ?

... but the olive drab makes sense (however the gold tooling blows the drab part out o the water! :lol: ).

Did you never hear of "dazzle" camouflage ?

Vitorian green much brighter...The only Wheatsone I've laid me mitts on from that period had a similar "olive" colored bellows, 'course she was 143 years old

A grand old dame then, but they can still be very vivid !

... and I had several excellent single malts warmin' me outlook on life under the belt :blink: .

Editorial note: Honest, I've no single malt under the hood at this time a' mornin'. Just my "creative" spellin'.....

I know people who see everything "more darkly" after a few whiskeys (Irish spelling, not "creative" !) :P

No, I'm afraid that after a few drams of me single malt...all's right wid da world and it's amazin' how well I think I can play <_< .

I've become rather fond of my black buttons on the Morse, whiskey or no. The little devils do start hidin' as an evening wears on though :blink: .

Edited by Mark Evans

No, I'm afraid that after a few drams of me single malt...all's right wid da world and it's amazin' how well I think I can play <_< .

I've become rather fond of my black buttons on the Morse, whiskey or no.  The little devils do start hidin' as an evening wears on though :blink: .

Did I hear that you are hiding in evening wear?

There's a nasty little rumor about that....not so much that I play Irish, but that I abuse it :( .

Now back to topic thread for a moment... That little Stealth anglo looks to be nicely small. I'll wager it's not 6 inches across and if that be the case me harties, what kinda reeds be lurkin' therein...Aargh!

I must confess, I love to see that gold tooling. It adds something special. I think the only thing that lets these instruments down is the ugly fastenings. Shiny nickel (or brass) end bolts and handstrap screws in a less clumpy design would finish these instruments off beautifully.

I assume slot bolts have been avoided so that there will be less end damage. I think bolts with 'Robinson' type ends would look classier though.

[i think the only thing that lets these instruments down is the ugly fastenings. Shiny nickel (or brass) end bolts and handstrap screws in a less clumpy design would finish these instruments off beautifully.]

personally I like these type of fastenings on my tedrow.

There are quite secure and efficient. I also like the look.

I don't know if I understand the difference between fastenings

and handstrap bolts/screws? What exactly are you describing?

patrick

I mean handstrap bolt/screw and end bolts. They look a bit utilitarian to me. maybe they look better in real life. I would have expected the they would be decorative but they seem a bit out of scale in the pictures compared to the ones you see on the better old ones and the other makes.

I'm sure it's just a question of taste but that's my twopenn'orth

Edited by Paul Read