Dating A Lachenal From The Serial Number

johnconstable

• 3 months later...

Repeating my query here from the Dating Lachenal Concertinas - Serial Numbers/Descriptions thread. My "AG Duet" Lachenal (basically a Jeffries layout Anglo with extra buttons, a few of which are the same on push and pull) see

is numbered 2277, in what seems to have been at the time a single series for any sort of Duet. Previous info indicates a date c.1904. Can we pin it down any more precisely?

3 hours ago, Richard Mellish said:

Repeating my query here from the Dating Lachenal Concertinas - Serial Numbers/Descriptions thread. My "AG Duet" Lachenal (basically a Jeffries layout Anglo with extra buttons, a few of which are the same on push and pull) see

is numbered 2277, in what seems to have been at the time a single series for any sort of Duet. Previous info indicates a date c.1904. Can we pin it down any more precisely?

In fact the latest tweak of the database estimates duet serial numbers from 2267 to 2358 to be from 1903, which (purely on averages) might suggest 2277 was made in February 1903. However, we know that instruments were not finished in serial-number order (and sometimes years later!), so it's impossible to be definitive.

The only way we could be positive about the completion date would be if Lachenal's factory ledgers came to light, but we don't even know (for a fact) if they kept any, let alone what might have become of them in the meantime...

• 3 weeks later...

Back in June 2019 a question referring to a Lachenal Edeophone Sn: 39825, was asked. The description was for a 56 extended Treble instrument. Downright answered confirming the 56 k description, and giving a date.

I now have an Edeophone serial  39825 on the bench. but it is no way a 56 k treble, no matter how I stretch things, are there records/ instances of duplicate serial serial numbers. The other oddity is that action is riveted, 100% and seems so from new.

Dave