Dating A Lachenal From The Serial Number

johnconstable

Hi All,

Just picked up my first EC from Chris Algar a few weeks ago, it's a tidy (to me) 5-fold Lachenel 48-key, black wooden ends, steel reeds and (I think) nickel buttons. It has lost its outside serial number but opening it up it is 37755. Having a go at tunes for a Ceilidh band, would be lovely to know an estimated date?

Cheers, Sam

Hi folks

I would be grateful if you could give me a date for my Lachenal English Edeophone; 48 buttons, treble, raised ebony wood ends and steel reeds. It has the number 57529 (1920?)

Best Regards

Eddy

I could use some help in resolving what appears to be a contradiction. I recently acquired a flat ended rosewood 48 English in need if serious restoration. Opening it up I found steel reeds (not nickel alloy), printed sound board decals, Lachenal & Co. (not Louis Lachenal) and the number 3990 clearly stamped on sound boards and action boards. It has solid brass keys and a top quality French Polish finish (dirty and a little faded of course). To my inexperienced eye, historically speaking, the later label and early serial number don’t fit. There are indications that it came with sound baffles that were at some time in the past removed, and the original makers label probably went with them.

5 hours ago, Ove said:

I could use some help in resolving what appears to be a contradiction. I recently acquired a flat ended rosewood 48 English in need if serious restoration. Opening it up I found steel reeds (not nickel alloy), printed sound board decals, Lachenal & Co. (not Louis Lachenal) and the number 3990 clearly stamped on sound boards and action boards. It has solid brass keys and a top quality French Polish finish (dirty and a little faded of course). To my inexperienced eye, historically speaking, the later label and early serial number don’t fit. There are indications that it came with sound baffles that were at some time in the past removed, and the original makers label probably went with them.

At the suggestion of the dating experts who provide most of the answers in this thread, this post has been copied to its own, new thread, as it raises questions well beyond dating a serial number, and worthy of discussion. Replies and discussion should go in that thread. Thanks.

Admin (Ken)

• 2 weeks later...

I just acquired this 30-button Lachenal anglo with rosewood ends. The serial number is 155415.

From other posts in this thread, my guess is that it was made about 1898. Am I right?

Rightend.jpg.a5143bb3321842fff54952907056880e.jpg

Edited by Magpieblog
I'm an editor. This is what I do. : )