Dating A Lachenal From The Serial Number

johnconstable

Well,

Reading page 10 in « Some notes on Lachenal Concertina Production and Serial Numbers », PICA, 1 (2004), Stephen Chambers **, and find about :

No 28821 : « edeophone, (…) very early developmental model (…) should be dated to no later than 1889 » **

as already said...

And  reading more carefully page 9 in the same , I can find :

"Lachenal and Co introduced the "New Model" (...) in the late 1880's. The 66-key "New Model" baritone, 28320 (CMC 106) gives every appearance of (..) , as it has "Lachenal and Co's Patent Bowing Valve No 8290' very noticeable (...) The patent (...) is not until 1888. (...). Therefore, I think this instrument should probably be dated to c. 1888 (...)."

«The first instrument with "bowing valves" in my data is No 28320" ", 

said Dowright.

So : 28293 could be dated 1888 as well... 

th

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to the date and # supplied by DerekL on the last page I have a good idea about my Edeophone, serial # 59798. It's only 215 before his (July 1928). I think that puts mine early in that year or perhaps late 1927, do you think? Are there any other known numbers/dates in that era?

Thanks.

Greg

• 1 month later...

Recently purchased from the Buy & Sell Forum a Lachenal 35 button Crane Duet.  This was restored by Greg Jowaisas some time ago and seems to be in good shape but for a bellows leak of some kind (it drifts open if held up by one end).  In any case, I'm wondering about its age and hope someone on this thread will enlighten me.  The serial number would appear to be something like 4066 (can that be right?)  Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

-- Joe Bartl

IMG_3144.JPG

IMG_3146.JPG

5 hours ago, mandojoe said:

The serial number would appear to be something like 4066 (can that be right?)

Yes, entirely possible. Lachenal had separate serial number sequences for English, Anglo, and Duet concertinas (and even a separate sequence for Crane duets while the patent on them was in force).

So Crane duet #4066 would date from the beginning of 1923 or, if it's #4866 then it's from the beginning of 1932. Though #4066 seems much more likely because the instrument appears to have bone buttons - around 1928 casein (plastic) buttons were introduced at Lachenal's...

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Thanks, Stephen Chambers.  Up close and personal, I can see that the questionable number is definitely a "0".  So that places this at the beginning of 1923.  This will be a fun little instrument to get acquainted with.  Thanks, again.

Joe Bartl

• 1 month later...

Can I have an year estimate of anglo number (1)63990 ?

It's not mine but currently in Japan. Rosewood ends, 30+2novelty bone buttons, C/G, steel reeds and 6 fold bellows.

I am not sure there is leading 1 to 63990.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Takayuki YAGI
typo

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2023 at 1:13 AM, John Sylte said:

So I've got this wonderful miniature Lachenal, steel ended, bone buttons, originally had 6 bellows. I believe the serial number is 48556. What can you tell me about when it was made?

The Lachenal dating project's estimate for 48556 has remained at 1878 through two revisionary tweaks.

Hi Stephen. I bought an old anglo from an antique shop in Tobermory on Mull this month. The makers plaque is unreadable but I think its a Lachenal and the serial number is 160972. Can you give me an idea of the date?

1 hour ago, Ralph Lucey said:

The makers plaque is unreadable but I think its a Lachenal and the serial number is 160972. Can you give me an idea of the date?

With that serial number it can only be a Lachenal - nobody else made anything-like that many!

It would date from 1898. 

Many thanks Stephen. I also read your article on Lachenals and it has the reed trade mark stamped on the handle. I have bought the Concertina Maintenance Manual by Dave Elliot. Now to learn about how to repair concertinas…………

IMG_0680 resize.jpg