Dating A Lachenal From The Serial Number

johnconstable

• 2 weeks later...

I have just acquired a Lachenal English concertina no 32281.  It is a 48 button Tutor model (coloured and labelled buttons) with wooden ends and brass reeds.

From what has gone before, I am assuming a date of mid 1890's, but rather confusingly there is the following written inside:-

"To J Hutcher, South Africa.  5.3.03. Palmers Music Store, Kettering, England"

Any more information would be appreciated.

7 hours ago, allan said:

I have just acquired a Lachenal English concertina no 32281.  It is a 48 button Tutor model (coloured and labelled buttons) with wooden ends and brass reeds.

From what has gone before, I am assuming a date of mid 1890's, but rather confusingly there is the following written inside:-

"To J Hutcher, South Africa.  5.3.03. Palmers Music Store, Kettering, England"

Any more information would be appreciated.

The data says early in 1894 for that one, so perhaps it was second-hand when it was sent to South Africa?

Thanks Mike,

That shows that our estimates are fairly near in this region. The instrument could have been purchased from a dealer in the local area, and might have been sold to the owner a bit later than our estimate. But the details will be added to our database and taken into consideration next time we update our estimates.

I once saw 1428, 5042, 5131 and 7435 on eBay and Barleycorn. All of them had numbered keys and simpler fretwork. And 109854 and 148802 with (slightly different) Butler label. As you think, I too think that on eBay is early Lachenal.

Edited by Takayuki YAGI
typo