Dating A Lachenal From The Serial Number

johnconstable

9 hours ago, Stephen Chambers said:

Welcome aboard David!

There's a bit more to it than that I'm afraid, in that Lachenal's had more than one number sequence, for different types of concertinas, plus there's a potential ambiguity about Anglo serial numbers because of the huge number of them (more than 200,000!) that they made.

Also, there's potentially a bit of a trade-off in information in that you can help us with the dating project by describing (or, better still, photographing) the instrument you have.

So, if it's an English-system concertina (4 rows of buttons, usually totalling 48 in number), #54982 would have been made towards the end of 1912, whilst if it's an Anglo-system (2, or 3, rows of buttons, usually totalling 20, or 30, in number), #54982 would have been made in 1879, though there could be a lead digit 1 that's not immediately visible unless you look carefully for it, in which case the date for #154982 would be 1897.

9 hours ago, Stephen Chambers said:

Welcome aboard David!

There's a bit more to it than that I'm afraid, in that Lachenal's had more than one number sequence, for different types of concertinas, plus there's a potential ambiguity about Anglo serial numbers because of the huge number of them (more than 200,000!) that they made.

Also, there's potentially a bit of a trade-off in information in that you can help us with the dating project by describing (or, better still, photographing) the instrument you have.

So, if it's an English-system concertina (4 rows of buttons, usually totalling 48 in number), #54982 would have been made towards the end of 1912, whilst if it's an Anglo-system (2, or 3, rows of buttons, usually totalling 20, or 30, in number), #54982 would have been made in 1879, though there could be a lead digit 1 that's not immediately visible unless you look carefully for it, in which case the date for #154982 would be 1897.

Mystery solved.

On 11 Aug David Robertson mentioned a serial number query from June 2019 for a 56 key ET Edeophone. He now has a 48 on his bench with the same serial no. The confusion was caused be me; in my query I gave a sn of 39825 for my Edeophone, it should have been 39823.

12 hours ago, DickT said:

Mystery solved.

On 11 Aug David Robertson mentioned a serial number query from June 2019 for a 56 key ET Edeophone. He now has a 48 on his bench with the same serial no. ....

It was Dave Elliott's bench, not David Robertson's.

Edited by Leonard
Adding the second 't' in Elliott

On 9/9/2022 at 7:20 AM, David Clarke said:

Hello Stephen,

I hope the photographs will be okay.

Thanks David, plenty good enough to tell that it's a basic 20-key Anglo with mahogany ends. It may have brass reeds, which was the cheapest option, or steel reeds, which are better - if they're steel it will be stamped into the strap handle on the right-hand side.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Could you advise/confirm on a Lachenal made, 32k ( all note reeds / no whistles, duck calls etc ); full width, fairly simple fret pattern metal ends, 5 fold bellows, steel reeds with bone buttons, ser. no. 104785.  A relatively 'close' number previously advised as being from April 1888? but may have been subject to revision.   Tia.      

2 hours ago, Sprunghub said:

Could you advise/confirm on a Lachenal made, 32k ( all note reeds / no whistles, duck calls etc ); full width, fairly simple fret pattern metal ends, 5 fold bellows, steel reeds with bone buttons, ser. no. 104785.  A relatively 'close' number previously advised as being from April 1888? but may have been subject to revision.        

The latest revision indicates 1889 for #104785.

• 2 weeks later...