Dating A Lachenal From The Serial Number

johnconstable

18 hours ago, Tad52 said:

In 2005 Stephen Chambers in his very comprehensive "Some Notes on Lachenal Concertina
Production and Serial Numbers" gave a lowest confirmed number of 6119 for concertinas made by Louis Lachenal in his own name, rather than for Charles Wheatstone, and deduced that Louis Lachenal commenced his numbering for English concertinas from 6000. Has this been revised downwards in the light of earlier concertinas that have since come to light, such as mine?

Almost 20 years later, our current database of 2696 reports of Lachenal English has seven in the 5000 range, with the lowest confirmed number of 5063. So we would estimate your instrument to be circa 1859.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2022 at 2:51 PM, wes williams said:

Almost 20 years later, our current database of 2696 reports of Lachenal English has seven in the 5000 range, with the lowest confirmed number of 5063. So we would estimate your instrument to be circa 1859.

Thank you, Wes. My Louis Lachenal No 5810 plays well; I identified it as being visually similar to a Wheatstone model.

Hi, I've been restoring a Lachenal 20k Anglo, steel reeds (although it’s been retuned to GD..not by me). The serial number is 87898. Any idea of the approx date of manufacture would be helpful. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, 

I have a concertina for the last 20 years or so and I was wondering if someone could help me date it. It’s a leche Al (I think Anglo) 30 button with 2 novelty squeak button (sounds like a dog toy) it’s silver end and silver button 6 bellow folds and serial number 175722.

any help would be greatly appreciated 

grainne

Grainne,

You are describing a Lachenal 30k Anglo concertina, metal ended and metal keyed. with that serial number the latest information from those who have tracking Lachenal serial numbers/ dating information would put your concertina at Circa 1903. 

I hope that this helps you.