Dating A Lachenal From The Serial Number

johnconstable

I have a 28 Key Lachenal & Co. Patent concertina, London. It has one additional key on one side for a total of 29.

The serial number is L32475  I don't play the concertina and know nothing about them. It belonged to my late wife. Any information you can provide is much appreciated. Thanks, Mike Miller

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2017 at 1:21 PM, Dowright said:

I should have indicated that, if you send me a serial number and description for your Lachenal concertina, I will gladly provide an approximate of the year of manufacture. It will be a while before I complete my article on Lachenal concertinas and the estimated manufacture dates.

I have just examined a concertina that has been in the family for at least 70 years. 

The label states" Lachenal & Co, Patent concertina Manufacturers, London. The serial number is 17472.

It has 15 bone keys on each side with a single one by the handle on one side.

There are  6 bellows. Markings on one of the handles "Steel Reeds", other markings "English"   "M A K"

I know nothing about concertinas, would appreciate any information as to origin/date/value.

It is in a wooden box, the shape of the concertina, the box is marked "Viceroy" made in Saxony.

Many thanks for any help.  George Atkinson 

On 3/23/2021 at 4:31 PM, George Atkinson said:

I have just examined a concertina that has been in the family for at least 70 years. 

The label states" Lachenal & Co, Patent concertina Manufacturers, London. The serial number is 17472.

It has 15 bone keys on each side with a single one by the handle on one side.

There are  6 bellows. Markings on one of the handles "Steel Reeds", other markings "English"   "M A K"

I know nothing about concertinas, would appreciate any information as to origin/date/value.

It is in a wooden box, the shape of the concertina, the box is marked "Viceroy" made in Saxony.

Many thanks for any help.  George Atkinson 

Hi George,

Something doesn't quite add up here. The text on the label and the handles (MAK is actually Make) suggests an instrument made after ~1878. We would expect this date to have a serial number around 47000 upwards, so the number you supplied doesn't accord. In the past we've found that often one digit of the serial is hidden behind the fretwork, so could you check it very carefully. If the number was 117472 we'd be looking at a date circa 1890, 17472x would be circa 1905.

• 1 month later...

I live in South Australia, have a family heirloom Lachenal Anglo student concertina 22 button in excellent condition, serial No. 42759 and would love to know date of manufacture?  An ancestral name Miss Yeatman is on the Wheatstone index, 3 payments (purchase order 969) in 1853.  I would love to connect this with the antique instrument I now have, in good working order.  I have tried to link in to this forum but can't seem to connect.  Please advise.  Thanking you.  Judy Pearce

To catch up with date requests since last November:

English

Syncopepper: 29161 circa 1889

tealeaf:  36736 circa 1898, 10104 circa 1865

Duet

Mike Hulme 4455 circa 1926

Anglo

Triplem: L32475 (probably 132475?) circa 1893

robert ballard: 121609  circa 1892

Donny Duck: 42070 circa 1876

Hi , this Lachenal has been in my family for many years , I would love to find out a bit more about it the date , the type of wood etc 

The number is 127594

It had some restoration work done 7 years ago

I have attached some photos . 

Many Thanks 

IMG_2096.JPG

IMG_2115.JPG

IMG_2117.JPG

IMG_2119.JPG

IMG_2127.JPG

IMG_2103.JPG

IMG_2130.JPG

Hi all, thanks for adding me. I have inherited a lachenal concertina and I am trying to age it with no luck, lots of conflicting info online. Its got two numbers on it, one says patent #4752. The other number says 4035. Thankyou for any help.

_20210514_072006.JPG

_20210514_071756.JPG

googe - the patent number 4752 applies to all Maccann system instruments. The serial number 4035 dates this instrument to circa 1923. A fuller description of the instrument (number of buttons, etc) would  be useful to us.

Edited by wes williams

1 hour ago, wes williams said:

googe - the patent number 4752 applies to all Maccann system instruments. The serial number 4035 dates this instrument to circa 1923. A fuller description of the instrument (number of buttons, etc) would  be useful to us.

Thanks mate, really appreciate it. Its 48 button, has got steel reeds engraved on it. Such a beautiful old instrument. Amazing condition for age and sounds good. 

_20210514_114338.JPG

_20210514_114315.JPG

_20210514_114243.JPG

Richard, it would be nice to be able to see through our finger tips, and have finger tips that can also read. What I offered was a statement based upon experience. perhaps the player had not realised the risk?

Edited by d.elliott