Dating A Lachenal From The Serial Number

johnconstable

Sorry for delay, but have been rather busy lately. I stripped the end where the rattle was, and found this rogue reed just floating about. Mystery as all 20 buttons are working normally, and the spare reed shows no sign of having been fixed anywhere. The underside is flush, with no signs of any glue, so how it would have been fastened down I do not know. The reed is made of steel and its mount is brass. It measures 4cm long and is .9 cm at its widest point. There is a 21st button on one end, and when pressed just lets air into the bellows (or releases ) air from it. This button is at the opposite side to where I found the loose reed.

Thanks Dowright for the date, it was either bought second hand or by my grandparents!

Eddystone

• 3 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Dowright said:

Paul,

No 3281 circa 1894 (No 32620 has 1894 bill of sale; No 32621 has March 1895 bill of sale)

Dowright,

I think one digit got dropped (in 3281) and one mistyped  (in 32621) in your response there. Did you mean to say:

>> No 32801 circa 1894 (No 32620 has 1894 bill of sale; No 32821 has March 1895 bill of sale)

or was it 32921?

Hi, 

I've just purchased  a Lachenal anglo from Chris Algar so you probably have the details of this already.

30 bone keys, metal ends, 6 fold bellows, steel reeds, number 149617. I've had a look inside as the typed number was incomplete. The only date I've found is 23/4/15 but as this is placed next to a modern sticker for Vintage Strings and Accordions in Cheltenham I think this marks a restoration date. To my untrained eye the only modern parts are the wrist straps and the pallets(?). From what I read above this would date to c1897?

Regards,

Paul Draper

London, UK

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

One more addition to the growing list 😁 Lachenal & co. 32-button Anglo (Rose?), serial num. 164988 (or the last digit could be 3). Bought it from a person who bought it from Chris Algar back in 1995.

Anglo32b-Lachenal.jpg

On 4/25/2017 at 4:39 AM, johnconstable said:

Hi everyone. I'm trying to date my lachenal (12732) but I can't find the database of serial numbers anywhere. Please could someone point me in the right direction?

I just found this... 

A 19th century Louis Lachenal Presentation cut brass inlaid thuya concertinanumber 12378, with forty eight glass buttons, five-fold leather bellows, scroll fret-cut ends, one mounted with a silver plaque, inscribed "Presented to Rt. Carter of E. Division by E. Lachenal for his activity in bringing to justice two men for breaking and entering her warehouse Nov 9th 1868

Source: https://auction.gorringes.co.uk/auction-lot-detail/A-19th-century-Louis-Lachenal-Presentation-cut-brass-inlaid-&salelot=LSEPT20+++48+&refno=10495615

On 10/31/2020 at 4:09 AM, Tarquinbiscuitbox said:

I just found this... 

A 19th century Louis Lachenal Presentation cut brass inlaid thuya concertinanumber 12378, with forty eight glass buttons, five-fold leather bellows, scroll fret-cut ends, one mounted with a silver plaque, inscribed "Presented to Rt. Carter of E. Division by E. Lachenal for his activity in bringing to justice two men for breaking and entering her warehouse Nov 9th 1868

Source: https://auction.gorringes.co.uk/auction-lot-detail/A-19th-century-Louis-Lachenal-Presentation-cut-brass-inlaid-&salelot=LSEPT20+++48+&refno=10495615

wow - 1500 and it didnt even work properly!

2 hours ago, johnconstable said:

wow - 1500 and it didn't even work properly!

But a nice top end instrument for its time, and probably pretty easy to get back to playable condition. I don't think it's an unreasonable price for an instrument that is probably in the 3% of concertinas at the time it was made. How much would you expect to pay pay for a top 3% violin?

Hello everyone out there -

I hope I have put this question in the right place  - I have never used a forum before!!

Whilst sorting out my Dads possessions following his death, I came across a Concertina, that I remember seeing when I was a boy in the 60's and I recall he told me he was given this by a Polish man in the 1940's as a thank you for doing errands for him. It has a Lachenal & Co label with a serial number 152698 and has 13 buttons on one side and 13 plus 1 on the other. Its in a dark wood Hexagonal velvet lined Wooden box. Any information on what it is and the history of this would be fantastic.  Thank you in anticipation of any comments or information

Edited by Len2307
Add a thank you

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to know aproximate date on my 56 key extended treble New Model with solid rosewood ends, SN: 29161. It was restored by Wim Wakker some years ago and featured on his web site for years.  I am guessing mid 1880"s?

Thanks;

• 3 weeks later...

Dowright,

I'd love to date two Lachenal English concertinas.

Lachenal Tutor Model:

Mahogany ended, 48 coloured bone buttons.

Five fold bellows.

Serial number 36736

Louis Lachenal Inimitable(?)

Rosewood ended with gold embossing. 48 metal buttons. Brass reeds.

Six fold bellows.

Serial number 10104

Thank you!

Edited by tealeaf
Given rosewood ends, I imagine an Inimitable not an Excelsior.

• 2 weeks later...

I just acquired a 35 button Crane, steel reeds, 5 fold bellows and an inscription in the part destroyed case reading:

Cadet W Helm

I.T.C.

1929/30

Were Salvation Army instruments given or lent to players? The serial number is 4455.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Peter, We can't answer you without further details - see the kind of details the previous enquirers have added. With a number that high its almost certain to be an anglo concertina, but its value will depend on many factors like the number of buttons, metal or wooden ends, condition etc. And its also worth checking carefully that there isn't a 1 before the number you gave, as this has been often been found to be hiding just behind the fretwork, which means you need to take off one of the ends and find the number inside to be sure. Simple enough - just carefully unscrew the six end bolts, one on each side of the rim. The number will be on the bellows inside, or on the pan holding the reeds. Use the end you don't unscrew to line up the end you unscrewed properly when you refit it.