Dating A Lachenal From The Serial Number

johnconstable

On 7/17/2020 at 2:02 PM, Dowright said:

Dave,

No 8459   circa 1862

Two concertinas listed as "Lachenal" in Wheatstone Red Book: No. 7728 on 4 April 1863. However, No. 9641 on 29 July 1862. 

I am guessing that it has 48 key with bone buttons and 4-fold bellows.

Thanks Downright that is very helpful,  Yes 48k bone buttons.

Hi Mr Dowright 

I've picked put  basic Lachenal  english,  serial no 79750. Round about 1910? Nice condition,  just one reed  not saying much.  Need to get inside for a shufty.  If there are any dates from the craftsmen scribbled  inside I'll let you know for your database. 

Jim

9 hours ago, Hawgfiddle said:

Hi Mr Dowright 

I've picked put  basic Lachenal  english,  serial no 79750. Round about 1910? Nice condition,  just one reed  not saying much.  Need to get inside for a shufty.  If there are any dates from the craftsmen scribbled  inside I'll let you know for your database. 

Jim

Are you sure it's an English system, Jim? Seems a bit high; afaik, their numbering for English stopped in the mid 6**** region, c1932. So either it is an anglo rather than an English, or you have misread the first digit (easily done as clarity wasn't always their strong point ?  ) While you have it apart, maybe check for a different number inside....

Edited by malcolm clapp

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Dowright, can you help me? I have what I believe to be a Lachenal Anglo with a serial number of 181530. It belonged to my parents, who got married in 1931. It came to me in the 1940's. Where they obtained it I do not know. It has 21 ebony buttons, a 5 section bellows, a rosewood fret and its only mark other than the serial number is a stamp saying steel reeds. It has stayed unlooked at for decades, but recently my daughter recovered it from my loft, where we found it rattled. I have now dismantled one end, only to find a reed floating free. All of the buttons work, except the 21st one which just seems to be a bellows release. (the 21st. button is on the other end to the one I took off).There are no empty chambers, so the reed is a mystery. The machine has never been touched , repaired or adjusted for at least 70 years. Uncovering the reed section showed no markings of any sort. The reed measures 40mm so appears to be a bass one.

I

Eddystone, (great screen name)

You can get the serial number here when Dowright has time. For the repair question, you could start a thread over in the Repair forum, and add some photos of the end you opened up. My guess is the knowledgeable here will have a solution for you.

Ken

On 8/27/2020 at 3:01 PM, Eddystone said:

Hi Dowright, can you help me? I have what I believe to be a Lachenal Anglo with a serial number of 181530. It belonged to my parents, who got married in 1931. It came to me in the 1940's. Where they obtained it I do not know. It has 21 ebony buttons, a 5 section bellows, a rosewood fret and its only mark other than the serial number is a stamp saying steel reeds. It has stayed unlooked at for decades, but recently my daughter recovered it from my loft, where we found it rattled. I have now dismantled one end, only to find a reed floating free. All of the buttons work, except the 21st one which just seems to be a bellows release. (the 21st. button is on the other end to the one I took off).There are no empty chambers, so the reed is a mystery. The machine has never been touched , repaired or adjusted for at least 70 years. Uncovering the reed section showed no markings of any sort. The reed measures 40mm so appears to be a bass one.

I

Eddystone,

This sounds intriguing.......can you post photos of the concertina and the ‘mysterious’ reed?.......maybe on a new thread?

Edited by nkgibbs

3 hours ago, nkgibbs said:

Randy,

You May already have this 30b Anglo ( 190530 ) on your radar.....it has some great dating documentation.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133506909058

Neil

Interesting that this has recently been retuned from BbF to CG "as marked on reeds."  The letter from Lachenals suggests that the customer wanted one in Bb by Christmas, but Lachenal couldn't meet that requirement, but had one in C. I wonder whether the customer bought it in CG, then had it retuned to BbF, then it's been tuned back up to CG?

Hi,

Joining your forum from Banchory Scotland about a Lachenal concertina from Sitka Alaska. Its Number 144890 and has been in the extended family from new, we think it was bought in 1896(?) and sent to John George Hanlon who was the jailor and deputy US Marshal there and has been in my wifes family ever since. We are arranging for it to come to Scotland and looking forward to learning more about it as we refurbish and ... learn to play!

It has 30 keys and looks to be mahogany, we have a few pictures but they are jpg image and looks like needs to be a url to attach? we'll try to send photos.

Iain