Dating A Lachenal From The Serial Number

johnconstable

Dave Pratie,

Maccann No 1876 - circa 1898 (Bill of sale for No 1819 dated 8 February 1898)

Maccann No 2184 - circa 1902 (And it was used by the Dixon Brothers in Vaudeville in Philadelphia)

Robin Tims,

No. 23681 - circa 1873. (Right at the crossover from "Louis Lachenal" to "Lachenal & Co." No. 21287 is a 20 key with Louis Lachenal label; No. 24786 is a 22-key with a Lachenaal & Co. label).

On 5/30/2020 at 1:56 PM, Dowright said:

Robin Tims,

No. 23681 - circa 1873. (Right at the crossover from "Louis Lachenal" to "Lachenal & Co." No. 21287 is a 20 key with Louis Lachenal label; No. 24786 is a 22-key with a Lachenaal & Co. label).

Very many thanks Dowright.

Initially I was a bit mystified by  your reference to apparently superfluous serials 21287 and 24786 until I realised they exemplified  that crossover period of instruments between 'Louis Lachenal' and 'Lachenal and Co'.

Understood, thanks.

Rob

Edited by Robin Tims

Hello, we have just inherited a concertina and keen to learn about it’s age etc and where best to seek restoration.

it is labelled LACHENAL & CO PATENT CONCERTINA MAKERS LONDON

TRADE MARK ENGLISH MAKE 

The instrument has wooden ends, leather straps and 20 bone? Keys and 5 folds

Any guidance would be much appreciated

sorry, missed a  bit from my last message.  N S E W would help to advise a repairer in your vicinity.  Incidentally, I recentlywas told of a person inheriting a similar instrument in 

On 5/30/2020 at 1:56 PM, Dowright said:

Dave Pratie,

Maccann No 1876 - circa 1898 (Bill of sale for No 1819 dated 8 February 1898)

Maccann No 2184 - circa 1902 (And it was used by the Dixon Brothers in Vaudeville in Philadelphia)

Robin Tims,

Many thanks for this. Exciting to hear of vaudeville connections. How could I find more of this? What information have you that connects it to the Dixon brothers in Philadelphia? Would love to know more. Again, many thanks

Susie:

Herewith come  concertina restorers.  All listed in the internet.

MARCUS MUSIC.  Newport, South Wales.  Maker and restorer.

Easiest to get to if you want face to face contact.  Literally just off the M4.

DAVID ROBERTSON.  Norwich, Norfolk.

Another very good craftsman, but East Anglia travel not always the best.

DAVE ELLIOTT.  Oughtibridge, Sheffield.

Internationally known author, lecturer and renovator of concertinas.

Mostly motorway.

You can always post - but I always feel that insurance never covers sentimentally, where

something has special meaning.

Les

Hello! Could you please date the following Lachenal 20 key, 5-fold, steel reeds SN 98033?

History:

First known owner was: William Horton of Malden, Massachusetts. He was a merchant Seaman. He was born around 1900. He played the instrument aboard ship.
In roughly 1987 it passed to his neighbor, Katalin Csigi of Malden. Katalin did not play. She passed recently and I purchased it from the estate.

Thank you very much!

tina4.jpg

tina3.jpg

tina2.jpg

tina1.jpg

Suzie,

Anglo No. 155207   circa 1897

Peter T',

English No. 58110   circa 1922     The serial number is NOT No. 68110 . The numbering of English system Lachenals ended around 60700. The only higher number that I have seen is No. 87733--but that was an erroneous stamping.

Klandfors,

Anglo No. 98033   circa 1887

Conzertino,

English No. 44289   circa 1905

Paul Read,

Anglo No. 197472    circa 1926

Dave Pratie,

Sorry, but I have no additional information about Dixon Brothers in Philly Vaudeville.

Edited by Dowright

Hi, We have a concertina that my husbands grandmother brought with her to New Zealand around 1908  and we'd be interested to find out a bit about it. It says 'Lachenal & Co, patent concertina manufactured in London.'  Serial number is 46628. It is in a velvet lined wooden case, has 48 bone buttons, wood ends and 5 bellows folds. Do you know of anywhere in New Zealand where we can get it fixed as two buttons are stuck? Many thanks 

msRgh9Q.jpg