Dating A Lachenal From The Serial Number

johnconstable

17 minutes ago, Dowright said:

SETH,

Good job of your dating of No 33598. My two closest dates are next to each other--32620 (1894) and 32621 (March 1895), Given that they were making about 800 to 1000 per year in the mid-1890s, I will go with circa 1896.

Thanks much.

To be honest I ,“did a good job of”, reading back through this forum looking for others within the range already asked about. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2017 at 1:21 PM, Dowright said:

I should have indicated that, if you send me a serial number and description for your Lachenal concertina, I will gladly provide an approximate of the year of manufacture. It will be a while before I complete my article on Lachenal concertinas and the estimated manufacture dates.

can you date my lachenal & co 20 button / steel reeds number  15604  approx  will do. yours bobbobs

43 minutes ago, bobbobs said:

and description

you seem to have missed (resp. underestimated) this point a bit ?

(in this case I reckon: nummer of bellows folds, Mahogany or Rosewood, obvious replacements)

oh, and welcome to the forums!

best wishes - ?

bobbobs,

If the number were 15604, it would have been made circa 1870. But if the number were 15604 it would have been labeled "Louis Lachenal" rather than "Lachenal & Co.

My guess is that you are missing the leading digit, a "1". If the number is 115604, it was made circa 1891.

Edited by Dowright

9 hours ago, Dowright said:

bobbobs,

If the number were 15604, it would have been made circa 1870. But if the number were 15604 it would have been labeled "Louis Lachenal" rather than "Lachenal & Co.

My guess is that you are missing the leading digit, a "1". If the number is 115604, it was made circa 1891.

My thanks for your information ref  my lachenal  concertina by using a better light and more powerful magnifying glass I can see there is another number  almost hidden from veiw the full number is in fact   115604  just for the record is there any way I can get any more details just for myself. And if I needed to who  get it repaired in the future who would be the best people to contact .  Yours A Very happy man!!!  bobbobs. 

Hi Dowright - I've recently worked on two Lachenal Bass Anglos, both originally 6 fold bellows, though one has had another three folds grafted in. Both 30 key, steel reeds

151,069 pitched in C/G, used by the Tottington Concertina Band

174,914 in Bb/F, marked internally "Pride of Wooton"

Picture below - any dates please? From the other data you've published, both would appear to lie between 1896 and 1906?

Tottington Bass.jpg

Edited by Bill Crossland
Typo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dowright,

Can I take advantage of your extensive knowledge to date my recent English concertina purchase.

serial number 37173, mahogany frets, brass reeds, 48 key, 4 fold bellows. On the material behind the frets the manufacturer label say ‘Lachenal and Co’, but on the labels on the reed carriers, the address is 8 Lit, James St, Grays Inn Rd. WC.

I think she maybe around the turn of the century, or maybe a year or two earlier looking at other examples on here.

she is a bit of a restoration project ?

Cheers

Mike

Hi Dowright, I PM'd some time ago, but you may not have picked it up, I wonder if you might have any record of my two Crane/Lachenals, re. age, one is a 35b Triumph Model, mahogany ends, bone (ivorine ?) buttons, serial number 4062.

My guesstimate is 1920's ?

The other is a 55 button, raised ebonised ends, nickel buttons, marked as a Crane & Sons. ( Liverpool ) Made by Lachenal, the serial no. is '389.  No real idea of age, but "early"ish ?

regards

Sprunghub,

I date your No 4062 to circa 1923.

For your No 389, I would guess at circa 1902. Even though the Crane had been around for a while, it took quite a while for sales to grow. In 1900, advertisements in magazines   (e.g. Penny Illustrated) featured concertinist/comedian Dutch Daly playing a Crane, thereby helping the sales significantly.

Edited by Dowright

• 4 weeks later...

How about this instrument? :  Lachenal Edeophone extended treble EC: number 42951. Has ebony or ebonized ends, metal keys, complex fretwork, fivefold bellows. Interestingly this instrument has an  original (Wheatstone style)  riveted action, not the Lachenal hook/lever action.

Waiting in suspense....RJ

3 hours ago, Dowright said:

Robert

No 42951 WAS MADE CIRCA 1904. MY GUESS IS THAT IT HAS 56 KEYS, BASED ON YOUR USE OF "EXTENDED TREBLE." PLEASE COFIRM.

Thank you so much for the information! Yes, it has 56 keys. So 115 years (approx) old, and still playing.

I can post some pics if anyone wants to to see the instrument. Just had the action overhauled and everything tuned by Concertina Connection which made a tremendous difference to the response and,  interestingly, to both volume and tone quality. Should be good for another 100 years plus...still playing after I have departed.

best wishes, Robert