Dating A Lachenal From The Serial Number

johnconstable

Lynda,

It is an Anglo. Only Anglo Lachenals have 6-digit serial numbers.  (Duets have numbers less than 5000, and English have numbers less that 61000.

No. 183566 dates to circa 1910.

Wolf,

No. 89348 dates to circa 1886.

• 2 weeks later...

I just acquired a Lachenal 28 key Anglo #125436.  I’m guessing around 1891?  Any thoughts?  Thanks!!!

Dowright, it’s mahogany with bone buttons, steel reeds, c/g, 5 fold bellows -  appears to be all original.  But needs a full renovation.

thank you for your confirmation of my guess (which is based on your responses to others!) 

Edited by Rick Amatulli
To answer a question

Rick,

I think you have potential as a Lachenal date estimater. I agree with you estimate of 1891. No. 109790--1890. No 128130--1892.

I would appreciate if, when asking for a dating estimate, a full description of the instrument be provided.

All I know about yours is "Anglo 28 key." Wood or metal fretwork? Bone or metal buttons? Steel or brass reeds? Number of bellows folds? Key combination if other than C/G? Any other distinguishing features?

Another dating query. Edeophone extended treble, ebony ends, steel reeds, 5 fold bellows, sn 39825. New Model, ebony ends, steel reeds, 5 fold bellows, sn 57494.

Many thanks

Dick.

Seth,

No. 197411 made in 1926. (I have  the receipt for No. 196865, dated 9 January 1926. In this case, I know that it is a 20 key, previously sold on Ebay.)

Dick, Seth, and Others,

If I am willing to estimate the dates, is it too much to ask that you provide a full description of the instrument?

• Like 2

Lachenal #21153 EC, (stamped inside both reed pans), fourfold green  bellows, 6 1/4" hex rosewood ends with fluted edges, non-riveted action, brass reeds.  London, James street Bedford Row on inside,  Barnett Samuel and Son 31 Houndsditch label on paper end baffle.  No other provenance.  I obtained it from a luthier friend who hadn't time for it's restoration.

2 hours ago, Dowright said:

Seth,

No. 197411 made in 1926. (I have  the receipt for No. 196865, dated 9 January 1926. In this case, I know that it is a 20 key, previously sold on Ebay.)

Dick, Seth, and Others,

If I am willing to estimate the dates, is it too much to ask that you provide a full description of the instrument?

Sorry, I’ll start adding descriptions and photos.  Your right, it is the one on eBay that I got for $200.   Needs work I’m guessing as most do.  

4C47E7FE-C2AC-4FFE-812A-87F84538A66D.jpeg

Wunks,

It is hard to estimate the date for No. 21153, because I do not have any receipts in this area. Therfore, I use the following indirect methodology:

In my data, the highest numbered English Lachenal with a "Louis Lachenal" label is No 22717. After the change in ownership in 1873, Lachenal  & Co. labels began to be used. However, they still had a stock of circular pan labels from the previous ownership, showing "Louis Lachenal," which they continued to use on some instruments. In some cases,  the cut out the Louis Lachnel from the label. just shpwing a blank space. In other case, the left the "Louis Lachenal" on the label. A pure guess is that they used the old stock of labels until they were exhausted, after 3 or 4 years, Therefore, I estimate the year of manufacture for No 21153 as circa 1877.