Dating A Lachenal From The Serial Number

johnconstable

Bill N,

I wish I could be a little more precise, but the best I can do for No 6915 is circa1860. Lachenal No. 7728 is shown in Wheatstone's records as having been sold by them to "Bagshaw" on 4 April 1863, and in the Wheatstone records is also Lachenal No 9641 sold to "Eules" on 28 July 1862.

Ken, 

You are on the right track. My motto is, "If it's right, it's Dowright"

18 hours ago, Ken_Coles said:

Maybe our friend should be charging for his services! I'm tempted to rename this the "Dowright Does Right" thread. ? Certainly any of you folks should stand him a round if/when you meet in person.

Dowright, I would gladly stand you a round or two!  Even a virtual one until we meet.

I would think that if anyone here has an original receipt, or other hard evidence on the date of manufacture of their own concertina, then Dowright would be happy to get a copy for his records and to solidify some dates.

On 2/28/2019 at 10:20 PM, Ken_Coles said:

...Certainly any of you folks should stand him a round if/when you meet in person.

Don't forget the thousands of dedicated volunteers who supply Dowright with the data

for his (invaluable) database - they get thirsty too. Mine's a pint of Theakston's Mild ?...

Edited by lachenal74693

On 2/13/2019 at 7:02 AM, Dowright said:

Rod;

Maccann No. 894 is not especially easy to date, but my best estimate is circa 1890-1891. Inside No. 729 was written "John Thomas, Concertina Soloist, March 4 1896". But I am certain that this entry was made several years after the manufacture. If he bought it in 1890-1891,  five years later would have been about the right time for a tune-up/repair at which time the inscription could be made while it was opened up.

Dowright,

Alex has opened up Maccann No 894 and found a pencil inscription; 'G.R.B. 8/3/96'.  So this tracks with your idea about No. 729, or they were running a special on Maccann repairs in 1896!  

• 1 month later...
On 11/20/2017 at 7:43 AM, Dowright said:

I have a receipt for No 48850, dated 5 Feb 1913, but am sure the it is for a second-hand Lachenal English. So the closest receipt that I have is 11 April 1904 for No 42146. Therefore, I date your No 47706 at circa 1908.

I have 79001, so I’m guessing it’s quite a bit later than most listed here.  The 20 Anglo buttons are bone and the wood seems to be mahogany.  It also has a stamp on the side of the frame that’s stamped J. Riley Birne which appears to be an owner’s name.

Cheers, Seth 

Don't forget  that Lachenals  have seperate serial numbers  for  English, Duet and Anglos .   The  Englishes  started  first  as that is  what  Lachenal  made when he departed from  his employment   at Wheatstones.  Later, when the  craze  for Anglos began    Lachenals  started a  new  numbering  system  for  these... and again  further  on they  did the same  when Duet production  started.  Unlike  Wheatstones  who used  only one  numbering list  thoughout  the  various  models  they produced.

Dowright  is the person to ask  for  a more accurate  dating  .

Thank you.  I just got the eBay set in today and was surprised that each reed played although a few were weak and need some adjustment.  Several of the reeds have surface rust but it comes right off with a fiberglass pencil.  The bellows are relatively airtight, no cracks or broken parts anywhere.  There is a couple safety pin spring replacements which is an easy fix.   It was well worth the gamble, just glad the reeds were in the set.

C1DA0564-468B-4994-8D23-69EE386AF3B3.jpeg

9666944B-393C-41E5-8707-B3039FBF23DC.jpeg

Edited by Seth

I'll buy Dowright a whole six pack of Theakston's Mild (whatever that is) if he would write up the notes of his amazing, decades-long Lachenal research for the Concertina Journal! Or is it still too preliminary?

Best,

Dan

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

I am new here.  My husband passed away and left me 35 squeezeboxes to sell.  I don't play, nor do I have 'an ear' so I must find out how to properly list them.  Finding their age, which key they are in and of course how they are tuned.  I have no documentation for all most all of them.  The concertina I have some questions about is an Anglo Lachenal 39 key, black bellows (7) and ends with metal fretwork, found a serial number (?) inside the left side, which is #183566.

Any help you can give would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Lynda Bass

13 hours ago, Lynda Bass said:

Hello everyone,

I am new here.  My husband passed away and left me 35 squeezeboxes to sell.  I don't play, nor do I have 'an ear' so I must find out how to properly list them.  Finding their age, which key they are in and of course how they are tuned.  I have no documentation for all most all of them.  The concertina I have some questions about is an Anglo Lachenal 39 key, black bellows (7) and ends with metal fretwork, found a serial number (?) inside the left side, which is #183566.

Any help you can give would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Lynda Bass

Hi Lynda,

Sorry to hear of your circumstances. I have a couple of suggestions. First would be to start a separate thread (called a Topic on the web page here) since your question goes beyond dating a Lachenal. Second, a few pictures if you have or can take some are a big help to anyone identifying what you have. If you let us know what part of the world you are in there may someone local who can give you more information in person.

A metal-ended anglo with 39 keys (38 plus air, perhaps) could be a higher end instrument, though a lot depends on condition. That number sounds like post-1900 but the experts will tell you more presently.

Ken

Thanks Ken and Wolf,

I am in Bakersfield, CA.  No one around here that does much with these types of squeezeboxes, mostly nortena.  I didn't count the air keys (one on each side),it is a 39 Anglo, or could it be a Duet?  I appreciate your help and will try to get some photos onto this site, set up another topic.

Thanks again,

Lynda