Sign in to follow this  
edvasicek

Good Note For G#

I have a 30 button Anglo, and I would like advice on a good note to hit when the music calls for a low G#. This is the space below two lines below the staff. Fake books in the key of C sometimes go that low.

On the top row, left set, second in from the left is a Bb key for the pull, and an A for push. The A doesn't sound too bad when used for a G#, but was wondering what others might suggest! Any advice appreciated.

Edited by edvasicek

I have replaced my LH top row button 2 draw Bb with an Ab (G#), which I find a little more useful myself. I've run across a few others players who have also done this modification, though I have also met others who find the Bb indispensable.

It shouldn't cost an incredible amount of dollars to try it and see if it works for your repertoire and style. It can easily be achieved by adding solder to your existing reed tip to bring it down two semitones and is quite reversible if it doesn't suit you.

Edited by malcolm clapp

It depends on the tune, but I think that playing a low B natural will work in most situations as a substitute for the missing G#.

I have a 30 button Anglo, and I would like advice on a good note to hit when the music calls for a low G#. This is the space below two lines below the staff. Fake books in the key of C sometimes go that low.

On the top row, left set, second in from the left is a Bb key for the pull, and an A for push. The A doesn't sound too bad when used for a G#, but was wondering what others might suggest! Any advice appreciated.

Thanks, guys. I have only been playing two months, so I am far from venturing into the innards of my concertina, but will keep the modification in mind. In the mean time, I'll try the low B.

There are various strategems for dealing wth a missing note.

If it is a passing note, you can reel the preceding note.

Usually, if you go up a third or down a third it will sound OK.

It depends on the tune, but I think that playing a low B natural will work in most situations as a substitute for the missing G#.

Usually, if you go up a third or down a third it will sound OK.

Yes, context is everything. But unless you’re in very strange keys, a G# is usually part of an E (or E7) chord, so the B (or if your instrument goes that low, E) would fit harmonically.