How To Quite This Instrument ?

yes yes, I'm sure this has happened to all concertina players. I'm still an armature...

like every new post, once was.

how do I make it quiet? this is a serious question. I spent about $400 usd to get this set up. the instrument

its a stagi ms-40.

the one I need to quiet down, is a Rochelle 30 button.

I'm well aware what a difficult this instrument (concertina) can be.

please just give me advice. ive done searches on google.

You might need to explain more about your problem but :

If you mean "how can I play the instrument more quietly ?"... then it is a case of not pushing / pulling so strongly... gentle pressure will produce quieter notes BUT these cheap concertinas do not have a great dynamic range, so they are unable to produce really quiet and really loud sounds.

If you need to play quietly because you are learning and do not want to disturb other people around you then there are several possibilities;

1. Move to a place where there are no people near you;

2. play in bed with all the bed covers over your concertina to suppress the noise.

3. fit baffles inside ,or outside the instrument to cut down the volume of the notes.

4. cover the walls and ceiling of your practice room with egg cartons and use a thick carpet on the floor. This should cut down on the noise escaping, as long as you keep all windows closed and curtains drawn.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

You might need to explain more about your problem but :

If you mean "how can I play the instrument more quietly ?"... then it is a case of not pushing / pulling so strongly... gentle pressure will produce quieter notes BUT these cheap concertinas do not have a great dynamic range, so they are unable to produce really quiet and really loud sounds.

If you need to play quietly because you are learning and do not want to disturb other people around you then there are several possibilities;

1. Move to a place where there are no people near you;

2. play in bed with all the bed covers over your concertina to suppress the noise.

3. fit baffles inside ,or outside the instrument to cut down the volume of the notes.

4. cover the walls and ceiling of your practice room with egg cartons and use a thick carpet on the floor. This should cut down on the noise escaping, as long as you keep all windows closed and curtains drawn.

lol lol on #4

also what do you mean by baffles? I'm willing to spend cash. I also have one of those cheap red Chinese ones. it was the quietest of all but it went out of tune.

kinda fast in my opinion

but again. baffles

acutally lol on all your answers, now that i really reviewed it :)

except the baffle answer

Well,

it was meant to be a little humorous, for sure.....

Being baffled by Baffles is not an uncommon occurrence (or is it occurance ?) .... I'm baffled by spellings.

im going to buy a serious one from jowaisas by Christmas.(I'm actually looking at his price and his superior instruments.) I encourage everyone on this forum to check it out. I just need to know how to get the Rochelle quiet so I don't kill the ears of my entire family....

but honestly in my opinion.... 20 buttons are the best, and most fun.

Some more "baffling" information found by an advanced search of concertina.net:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=18484&hl=baffles&do=findComment&comment=175513

And some discussion of volume and dynamics:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=17349&hl=baffles

BTW I thinks some folks prematurely give up on cnet's search feature. I've had good success by clicking on the daisy wheel (tool symbol?) next to the upper right hand search box. This usually takes me to the advanced search feature and that yields infinitely better results than just typing a key word into the search box.