Jeffries 38 Button C/g

Luke Hillman

Update: Many thanks to those who chimed in below. The instrument has gone to Greg for rehabilitation.

I bought this instrument on eBay last month (original listing here; scroll down for details), wishfully thinking that I'd play it as-was for a couple years before plunking down the rest of the cash to have it fully restored. Turns out that, while it's mostly playable, it needs more work than I hoped I'd have to do to get it up to where I personally need it.

Cosmetically, the ends are in *beautiful* shape. The bellows was replaced at some point and is perfectly good, but lacks the Jeffries papers and tooling. I'd like to recoup my original expense, so I'm asking $4,250 plus shipping, and of course cnet will get its due. I'm in California and would prefer to ship to the US, but I'm sure other arrangements can be made if needed.

Edited by lshillman

If I may suggest an alternative, you might want to contact a Greg Jowaisas to see if he can resolve both the playing and cosmetic issues rather than have to sell this one and look for another. I don't know if he could add the tooling at this point, but he could add bellows papers -- or do a whole new bellows if desired. Greg can normally resolve any playing problems, so give him a call.

Ross Schlabach

Hi again Luke,

I'd agree with Ross. While I can imagine the disappointment if it's not playing as well as you imagined it might, the condition of the reed pan in the photos look a lot better than some of mine. What does it need to get it fully playable?

Adrian

Thanks Ross. That was in fact the original plan -- I'll call Greg to confirm, but I'm fairly confident that the needed repair work will be out of my budget for at least the next couple years. On a side note, I'm from WNC and had no idea there were concertinists there! Must make your acquaintance some holiday.

Hi again Luke,

I'd agree with Ross. While I can imagine the disappointment if it's not playing as well as you imagined it might, the condition of the reed pan in the photos look a lot better than some of mine. What does it need to get it fully playable?

Adrian

Adrian,

Thanks for the encouragement. Some of the reeds need tuning, a couple others don't speak at all. Which seems like a relatively quick fix, though I'm no expert. What concerns me more is the speed of the action, which is variable but not anywhere near that of my hybrid. Replacing the small and likely rusted fiddly bits are where I'm thinking the bulk of the expense will come from.

Surely one option must be to return it to the seller and get your money back.The ebay listing said "The concertina is in a good working condition", but, if some of the reeds are out of tune and others don't speak at all, that's hardly good working condition.

Just kidding everyone. Putting this thread on hold while I talk to People Who Know Things, lest I act too rashly.

I bought this instrument on eBay last month (original listing here; scroll down for details), wishfully thinking that I'd play it as-was for a couple years before plunking down the rest of the cash to have it fully restored. Turns out that, while it's mostly playable, it needs more work than I hoped I'd have to do to get it up to where I personally need it.

Cosmetically, the ends are in *beautiful* shape. The bellows was replaced at some point and is perfectly good, but lacks the Jeffries papers and tooling. I'd like to recoup my original expense, so I'm asking $4,250 plus shipping, and of course cnet will get its due. I'm in California and would prefer to ship to the US, but I'm sure other arrangements can be made if needed.

Each to their own taste, but the comparatively recent-looking plating job to the ends seems somewhat out of character with most Jeffries concertinas I've seen. Not that I'm suggesting anything suspicious, but perhaps indicative that some one has tried to make a silk purse out of a sows ear, as the saying goes....

Compare it to the very original-looking model currently offered on eBay Australia

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rare-Antique-Concertina-C-Jeffries-Anglo-/122419923291?hash=item1c80cbc95b:g:odoAAOSwWxNY2gx-

(I have no connection to the seller, though I believe it to be genuine.)

Edited by malcolm clapp

I wonder about some of those reeds too, now that Mike has pointed them out. I suspect that the concertina spent some time in South Africa, where post-WW2 Wheatstone concertinas are pretty common, and that some of the original reeds were replaced with post-WW2 Wheatstone reeds or with South-African-built reeds of similar construction.

That having been said, the seller is a c.net member with a good reputation. I would suggest trying to work with him first.