Danny Spooner

I read , with regret, (on Facebook) that the Australia based singer Danny Spooner has died. His singing with concertina accompaniment was well regarded... and he was quite a character too. Although I knew him quite well from the years I lived 'downunder' I do not have any detailed history to relate here only to say that, like myself, he came from London.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Ah, I shall miss him. I got to know him well at the Pinewoods Folk Week in Massachusetts in 2003. Afterwards, he sent a set of recordings from Oz so I could feature them on my then-radio show at Purdue University. A great voice and spirit; he played a modest Lachenal treble IIRC. Play on forever, Danny.

Ken

I caught up with him at Cobargo Folk Festival just one week ago. He's been a regular performer there over the years but this time he was a shadow of his former self. Myself and probably all who knew him had grave concerns which now so soon have been sadly realized. He was hoping to make it to the National FF this Easter where he was booked to perform. I expect there will be a memorial performance at the National now and he will be there in spirit. RIP Danny.

https://www.facebook.com/cobargofolkfestival

How sad to hear of Danny's death. I first saw Danny in the late 60's at Frank Traynor's folk and jazz venue in Melbourne. He was a defender of the working man and woman.

Danny's website gives a great insight into Danny's background and philosophy on life and song. www.dannyspooner.com There are also many YouTube videos of Danny performing.

Vale Danny.