Northeast Concertina Workshop

Here is a C.net scoop, thanks to Rich Morse, who let us in on this. See you there!

--Ken Coles

=====

Saturday April 16th we'll be holding the first annual Northeast Concertina Workshop here in Amherst. It'll be a single, intensive day-long affair capped with a concert that evening. While we've still got some of the nitty-grit to work out, things are taking shape quickly. There'll be 3 long workshops (one in the morning and two in the afternoon) and 5 teaching staff:

Jody Kruskal: Music theory for trad dance musicians

Harmony, counterpoint, support

Composition and new tunes

John Roberts: English-style anglo for beginners

Singing with the box

Integration with others (harmony, support)

Frank Edgley: Beginning Irish-style anglo

Irish ornaments and embellishments

Repertoire tunes in the Irish style

Bob Snope: Beginning English

Intermediate English

Rich Morse: Beginning/intermediate Hayden Duet

Things are to start at 9am and wind up at 5 for a dinner break with the concert starting (tentatively) at 7:30. The cost for the entire day is $85 if pre-registerging and $100 if you just show up. The concert is open to all at $10 (except workshop participants get in "free").

Meals and lodging is NOT included - but Amherst has many really great places to eat and I expect folks will flock here and there together as their musical and gastronomic tastes coincide. We can provide a list of motel/hotels in the area. There are a lot of us Button Box staff willing to take on friends as well as other musicians in the area.

I expect that folk may want to make more of an event of this and appear earlier, like on Friday evening perhaps congregating at the Button Box. Doug has suggested that we host some sort of munchies, jam, BBox tour.... Folk could hang out until whenever and/or go on to the Greenfield contradance.

Same thing for Saturday night as there's both a contra and an English dance or more jamming wherever. Maybe folks will decide to get together on Sunday morning for a brunch/jam before heading out. We can make the Button Box available for that. There are several separate spaces there (one with piano).

-- Rich -- (29 January 2005)

The concert is open to all at $10 (except workshop participants get in "free").

Is it okay for anyone (i.e., non-workshop-participant) to just show up and pay for the concert, without having pre-registered?

That's most likely what I'll wish to do.

(Edited to try to fix the 'Quote' code.)

Edited by bellowbelle

Is it okay for anyone (i.e., non-workshop-participant) to just show up and pay for the concert, without having pre-registered?

Yup! Though if you'd like to socialize a bit, try some boxes out, jam some.... I recommend you come by earlier and hang out, maybe have dinner with one of the contingents as well?

Hmmm. . . a political party? Should we perhaps put forth a candidate for 2008? Tax cuts for all who want to purchase another concertina? Paid squeeze-leave from work? An initiative to get concertinas in every school (actually, that one's not such a bad idea. . .) <_<

Here is a C.net scoop, thanks to Rich Morse, who let us in on this.  See you there!

--Ken Coles

=====

Saturday April 16th we'll be holding the first annual Northeast Concertina Workshop here in Amherst.

Sounds great !!! I'm looking forward to it.

Bill Taffe

Rumney, NH

Horray! We've finally gotten everything together and have just posted notice for our first annual NORTHEAST CONCERTINA WORKSHOP. Come join us for a great time! There's also lots to do besides the event between the Button Box's open house the evening before, area dances, sessions, etc. For those wondering if this will conflict with NEFFA - no it won't. NEFFA will be held the weekend before the NCW.

Please note that there are limits to the number of participants for some of the workshops. Signing up early will ensure workshops of your choice!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm very dissapointed. The 16th was cleared last month with the family powers that be for this event. I've been asked to step in for a colleague and teach a 10-noon seminar for seniors on of all things....The Development of Opera. Infammia! Perhaps I shall give them my version of La Donna e mobile on EC ;) .

I'm a sad fellow about now :( .

Please someone review this event...and maybe some pictures.

I've been asked to step in for a colleague and teach a 10-noon seminar for seniors on of all things....The Development of Opera.  Infammia!

If you've been asked, you should be able to say "no"? If the job was originally your colleagues, and you were already committed to something else (in this case the Workshop, but it really shouldn't matter what), then that should be their responsibility, not yours.

OK, so who's going from concertina.net? Who'll be at the reception riday evening? I'll be at both. See ya.

I'll be there. Sadly, without my primary concertina, which I managed to break in the middle of a dance (a sheared rivet). So I'll be there with my square Herrington, always an object of mirth.

I plan to come to the reception. We'll be rolling in late THursday and plan to spend Friday seeing the sights.

Ah Jim, being an administrator (low level and underpaid) I don't have such a choice.

I thought I dealt with some large egos back in me opera days, but honestly those conductors, divas and directors have nothing on academics :angry: .

The people who have signed up are real sweeties and I'm gonna be good.

David and Wendy we will meet. I'm making the Squeeze-In or bust!

I am still planning to go to the concert on Saturday night.  :) I'll bring my camera, probably, but I'm not planning to bring my concertina since I'll be just listening.

Which means that afterward when we all head out to jam you'll just sit around listening to the rest of us - or go home? We intentionally worked out the concert to end mid-evening to allow for fun and games afterward.

I'll be there. Sadly, without my primary concertina, which I managed to break in the middle of a dance (a sheared rivet). So I'll be there with my square Herrington, always an object of mirth.

The button Box will have some "spare" concertinas for use on a first-come basis. Edited by Richard Morse