Wheatstone 30 Key Concertina South Africa

Thys Bezuidenhout

I am not a musician and would like to sell this rare find to someone who can appreciate it .

No idea what a fair price would be and will have to be guided by offers.

I am from Ballito, Kwazulu Natal,South Africa(50 Km North of Durban)

bezparts@gmail.com

Found it with a banjo ukelele (British made G H & S ) as well an Amatus Violin.Can anybody please give me advice where to advertise the latter two instruments -not applicable to this forum?[

post-12433-0-40509700-1486120699_thumb.jpegpost-12433-0-84587900-1486120752_thumb.jpegpost-12433-0-50165100-1486120907_thumb.jpeg

Thys, just remove one side carefully and keep the screws in the order you removed them. Lifting the one side..so that you can see the steel reeds...will help determine the reeds are in good shape or not. You will also be able to see if there is rust on the reeds...something that is quite common for people living close to the sea coast. One will also be able to see if there are a mixture of reeds replaced from other concertinas..by "backyard mechanics." Please note the Wheatstone serial number that is stamped on the reedpans. This is just some advice that may help you. There are experts on this forum that can confirm or deny what I write...we have all dealt with good and bad concertinas....

Wen tightening the screws back into their individual holes...dont over do it..you wouldn't want to strip the screws and ruin the wood

Edited by Ben

Thank you for the advice.Attempted to remove the one side.Seems like a wooden dowel was holding the handle grip so I decided not to force anything.

I managed to lift the cover slightly and 'sneaked' a few photos . Nothing professional..?

Reeds look pretty good ,actually very clean with the serial no. corresponding with the cover serial no.

Brass shoes look good.

I attach a few of my 'photos' .

post-12433-0-68705000-1486313372_thumb.jpeg

post-12433-0-91357400-1486313400_thumb.jpeg

post-12433-0-75850700-1486313456_thumb.jpeg

post-12433-0-79851700-1486313487_thumb.jpeg

post-12433-0-36454000-1486313585_thumb.jpeg

Thank you for the advice.Attempted to remove the one side.Seems like a wooden dowel was holding the handle grip so I decided not to force anything.

I managed to lift the cover slightly and 'sneaked' a few photos . Nothing professional..

Reeds look pretty good ,actually very clean with the serial no. corresponding with the cover serial no.

Brass shoes look good.

I attach a few of my 'photos' .

Hello Thys,

The South Africa Post Office will charge you approximately R800.00 to R1,200.00 to ship your concertina overseas. A DHL or FedEx, UPS will charge about R3,500 to ship your concertina overseas. In both cases....ask for a Tracking number. Please pack carefully because overseas bueyr are very picky and want to receive a concertina that is packed very well...inside and outside of the original concertina case.

Please advise the Post Office or Courier company that you are sending a "used squeeze box"...."made in the UK".....If asked for the value of the concertina....list it at R1,000. The original price for your concertina was probably around R100 years ago (albeit in British Pounds)...

The South African Post office may take approximately two weeks in delivery...if they are not on their bi-monthly Postal strike.....a courier company can take about 3 to 5 days. Courier companies work hand in hand with Customs Offices...the courier companies love charging "brokerage fees" and the Customs Offices love charging duties.

Remember ..you are not selling a brand new concertina....it is used...practically an antique.