At Long Last

Well, at long last I am finally retiring and we are in our final preparations to relocate to England, most likely the end of February. We have decided on Norwich as our retirement location. Some on the forum already know of our plans, but I would love to be in contact with concertina players in East Anglia. Having played Irish, French, and American old-time music on the concertina and banjo for the past 40 years, I am now especially looking forward to exploring the English music tradition while continuing to play the music I know. Any suggestions folks may have will be welcome.

While rummaging through my parents records over Christmas, I was delighted to stumble upon an old Ewan MacColl/Peggy Seeger record on which she plays concertina called The Manchester Angel. Best of luck on your journey!

Edited by nicx66

While rummaging through my parents records over Christmas, I was delighted to stumble upon an old Ewan MacColl/Peggy Seeger record on which she plays concertina called The Manchester Angel. Best of luck on your journey!

FWIW, Peggy plays English concertina, while Daniel's avatar looks to be an anglo.

Still, there are lots of folks playing fine English music on the anglo.

Hello Daniel,

Congratulations on your retirement.

You can be assured of a very warm welcome by the 'SqueezEast' group near Norwich, all details here:

http://squeezeast.org.uk/index.php

and we hope we can look forward to seeing and hearing you around these parts of Norfolk.

Happy New Year, and wishing you a safe and straightforward move to UK in February.

All Best

Rob (near King's Lynn, Norfolk UK)

Hello Daniel,

I'm another member of SqueezEast ( as per Rob's post above ) - there are a few of us around Norwich - as well as more widely spread in East Anglia.

Be good to meet you ... I'll pm you my email address

Hope the move goes smoothly

Andrew ( Tasburgh - about 8 miles south of Norwich )

Hi Daniel,

I echo Robin and Andrew above, I too am a member of SqueezEast but also a past squire of Kemp's Men, so if you would like to dance or play for the Morris in Norwich as well as join our little concertina band after your move please do get in touch.

Mike

Hello Daniel,

Congratulations on the retirement and the re-location to Norwich! It's a lovely part of the world. There's a good folk festival called Folk East that takes place in August. It's at Glemham Hall, not a million miles away from Norwich. Good sessions, and (last year) workshops from both both Squeeze East and Rob Harbron. Might be of interest to you.

Best wishes,

Chris

Mot Sverige, eller...?

(Toward Sweden, or...?)

Yes I'll be moving to Stockholm area :)

You know Rickard, yes? But I think there are a couple of other concertina players there that you haven't yet met. Does Eken Morris know you're coming? ;)

FWIW, I plan to be at the "English" session (Bishop Arms, Bellmansgatan 4; kl. 16-19) this coming Sunday. :) (Too soon, I'm sure, but it's monthly.)

Mot Sverige, eller...?

(Toward Sweden, or...?)

Yes I'll be moving to Stockholm area :)

You know Rickard, yes? But I think there are a couple of other concertina players there that you haven't yet met. Does Eken Morris know you're coming? ;)

FWIW, I plan to be at the "English" session (Bishop Arms, Bellmansgatan 4; kl. 16-19) this coming Sunday. :) (Too soon, I'm sure, but it's monthly.)

Yes I know Rickard - he doesnt reply to my messages though as I've tried to inform Eken about my impending arival.

Also contacted Rolf.

I'll maybe see you at the session in April at Bishops Arms.

Yes I know Rickard - he doesnt reply to my messages though as I've tried to inform Eken about my impending arival.

Also contacted Rolf.

You also know Jan Ivarsson? In any case, I'll let them know.

I'll maybe see you at the session in April at Bishops Arms.

Seems likely.

In the meantime, any further contact between us about this should probably go off-forum.

• 2 months later...