1938 Aeola Extended Baritone English Concertina For Sale

Defra

I'm reluctantly advertising my 1938 Wheatstone Aeola Extended Baritone English concertina, serial no. 34992.

It is in very good condition, in tune at modern concert pitch, has rust-free steel reeds in brass shoes and raised ebony, or ebonized, ends. With 60 buttons + air and starting at the low baritone G on the right-hand side, I've been informed by a helpful forum member that it is an "extended baritone" rather than a baritone-treble. What it means is that the notes on the spaces of the stave are on the left-hand side and those on the lines are on the right. I can send a note chart that I made.

The instrument has had an interesting life having spent years in Bolivia where the EC amazingly plays an important role in folk music. It was owned and restored by possibly the country's only concertina repairer who did a very good job. The casework is crack-free and nicely refinished in a satiny finish. The chrome has been rubbed off the badges and relatively new 7-fold bellows have been fitted which are nicely supple and completely leak-tight. The thumb straps appear to be quite new and no wrist straps have ever been fitted. All I've had to do since acquiring the instrument from the former owner's brother who lives in Paris is replace all the pads as they had dried out and certain valves, all of which were sourced from S. Dickinson at Wheatstone's in England. I have also adjusted the fit of a few reed shoes in their housings with paper. Any worries about effects of the Bolivian climate, or insects, on the instrument were unfounded. It does not have a riveted action but it is still very responsive and also has an excellent dynamic range. It comes in a solid case - possibly the original but it has been customised.

I can supply photos and a couple of basic sound files to any potentially interested parties. I'm advertising it at below what might be expected of such a quality instrument because it hasn't been restored by one of the few recognised restorers in Europe or the US but I have had no problems with it at all and am confident that it's next owner will be very happy with it.

In case anyone is wondering why I sell so many instruments on here after a relatively short ownership, I'd just like to say it's my hobby. I was self-employed for many years and when times were good I invested in quality instruments (not just concertinas), which I enjoy and sell on again after enjoying them when I need to raise cash, as I do now. I've found I don't lose out with the quality vintage instruments I buy. That's not the case with modern or cheaper ones!

In view of the uncertainty surrounding the new CITES regulations to come in on January 2nd, I think I'd better restrict this sale to Europe. I'm looking for 2,400 pounds or the euro equivalent which includes Paypal fees.

Thanks for reading this long ad. and don't hesitate to PM me if you'd like any more information. I'd be happy to arrange a Skype call, phone call or better still, a personal visit. If sold here, I'll make the usual contribution to Cnet.

Dean

post-10478-0-37851300-1482339912_thumb.jpg

post-10478-0-39980200-1482339967_thumb.jpg

post-10478-0-66612000-1482340093_thumb.jpg

post-10478-0-66923500-1482340146_thumb.jpg

post-10478-0-83803700-1482340230_thumb.jpg

Edited by Defra

As I understand it rosewood is the main target but people seem to be expecting a general tightening up when the new version of CITES comes in in January and I'm couldn't even be sure what wood it is. I believe it's ebonized rather than ebony. Makers and sellers of stringed instruments in particular seem to be particularly worried about the paperwork and expense involved, but I'm not the best qualified to comment.

I want to hear some of this Bolivian concertina music!

Here you go then, there are quite a few more than last time I looked!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=concertina+bolivia

It's something that's come up the odd time before.

I wonder if Wheatstone's ever made the 500 concertinas for Bolivia that were on order in 1961? :huh:

Fascinating videos Stephen, thanks for posting the links. The following even has links to the person who restored mine (at 3 mins 25)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM9zjVq_ztU.

I did wonder, when I saw him with the Aeola at 6 mins 16.

Just wish I spoke Spanish..

He's saying it was invented by Carlos Wheatstone, brought by sailors on ships, and talking about what the reeds are made of, differences between concertina & accordion, Bolivian music & instruments...

I've just received the updated information on CITES regulations for exporting goods containing endangered plant and animal species. Mike would appear to be right in that Rosewood seems to be the prime target and as such I don't think my concertina would be any more affected than before. Therefore, I could consider shipping outside Europe.

Here's a link to the regulations for anyone interested:

http://www.madinter.com/media/import/CITES%20and%20the%20guitar%202017%20international.pdf?mc_cid=b670deca3a&mc_eid=c8a2ebdbd8

I've just received the updated information on CITES regulations for exporting goods containing endangered plant and animal species. Mike would appear to be right in that Rosewood seems to be the prime target and as such I don't think my concertina would be any more affected than before. Therefore, I could consider shipping outside Europe.

Here's a link to the regulations for anyone interested:

http://www.madinter.com/media/import/CITES%20and%20the%20guitar%202017%20international.pdf?mc_cid=b670deca3a&mc_eid=c8a2ebdbd8

Ha! I think we must have both seen the same link. I just started a new topic about it.

• 3 weeks later...