Bellows Have Become Difficult To Move

Hi folks,

I'm new here and have a lovely Tedrow 30 button anglo that I purchased about a month ago. It had the pads replaced on it recently and the action adjusted. It was playing like a dream for the past fortnight but over the last day or so it seems like the bellows have become more difficult to move (reminding of the Rochelle I was playing before I got it), and sometimes on the pull the bellows will just stop - I've done a search in the archives but have been unable to find a thread related to this. I keep picking it up to play hoping I was imagining that the bellows have become stiffer but I really do think there's been a change in them - I'm new to the concertina world so haven't a clue as to what potential causes for this may be - is this a common thing?

I would think this a very unusual happening and can not imagine what is going on. The only explaination I can suggest is that you have been playing too much, as a newcommer to the concertina , and have strained your muscles... which is not likely I guess.

Contact Bob Tedrow.

Thanks for the reply Geoff. I don't think it's that I've strained my muscles - I'm a long time musician (tenor banjo, mandolin, drums) and very careful about overplaying/avoiding injuries due to repetition etc. I'll shoot Bob an email. Was just curious as to whether it was something other folks have experienced themselves.

I'd check your replacement pads. If they are thicker than the previous ones and the action was not adjusted accordingly there is a chance there is not enough pad clearance.

Although uncommon I've had occasions in repair when a too close pad and a weak spring have resulted in a note(s) stopping on the draw. (As the pad and/or arm are drawn down and close off the pad hole)

Let us know what is happening as you make adjustments and try and figure this out.

Greg

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

It sounds like Greg has put his finger on it.

Bellows won't be stiff now and then, they will be stiff all the time or not at all. So it's nothing to do with the actual bellows.

( which you can easily check by operating them with the air button fully pressed )

If it's now and then, as you say, it's probably one of the pads partly delaminating. On squeeze, the air would push it away from the hole, but on draw, it can suck it against the hole, and close it, If the pads are made of more than one layer, that can easily happen.

I would identify which note or notes it happens on, and have a look at those pads.

Edited by Patrick McMahon

Thanks Patrick - would that be something I'd be able to see if I took the ends off?

It certainly would. Best way is to identify which key or keys are not letting the bellows open properly. Press one key at a time, and smartly open the bellows. That should tell you which ones. Then take the ends off, and press that key or the lever to raise the pad, and then just poke around at the pad, to see if it's intact and firmly glued in place. ( which it probably isn't)

If the whole pad, or a layer, has not been glued properly, it just needs a little glue to set it in place.

Once you've checked one, it's easy to check the others, while you have the end off.

If you can't see any problem, you might be able to feel that a pad is loose with the tips of your fingers.

Great, thanks Patrick, I'll give that a go!! You've all been so helpful I really appreciate it!

When you test each button as I said, you might hear a feint popping sound, as the pad is sucked back onto the hole.

That would tell you for sure it's a loose pad.

Edit :

if the above doesn't flush it out, another way of testing is to test each button one after another, WHILE pulling on the bellows. The offending pad would probably stay closed, and not give a note.

Edited by Patrick McMahon

Well I checked the buttons and all of them are sounding a note on the draw. I then took the ends off the Tedrow and checked for loose pads and all (to my novice eyes anyway) appears well. Last night (prior to my opening it up) I noticed that it just feels tough in general now to work the bellows, whether on the push or the draw. I've emailed the shop that did the work but know that they're closed at the weekend so don't expect a reply until Monday.

That IS a mystery. It's so much easier when you can pick it up and feel what's happening.

I can't think of any way that the actual bellows could stiffen up, so I'm sure it's action related. Especially as it's had the recent work.

No point in speculating any further, as your shop will no doubt spot what's wrong pretty easily, being able to hold it and operate it.

Do let us know what the problem turns out tp be.