Who Is Frank 4983?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must say Helen I am with you.I love Auctions and hardly a week goes by without me being at one,but the biggest Auction of them all and I would not touch it with a barge pole.Even if you know what you are buying it is still too big a gamble for me.

I like to pick it up,play it, look closely at it,check the bellows etc.There are certainly bargains to be had,but dealers know within a few pounds as to what something is worth and they know when to stop bidding.I think the gamble is greater than the reward,but Frank disagrees with me.

I have an old Jones, Frank any offers?

Al

I bought Sarah Graves CD Black Boxes on ebay.

BTW I have been absent from this forum for over a week due to a stay in hospital. I had a stroke and am recovering very quickly. I tried playing my concertina today and it wasn't as chaotic as I thought it would be.

I bought Sarah Graves CD Black Boxes on ebay.

BTW I have been absent from this forum for over a week due to a stay in hospital.  I had a stroke and am recovering very quickly.  I tried playing my concertina today and it wasn't as chaotic as I thought it would be.

Nanette

I hope you will recover for (more than) 100%!

Get well soon.

Nanette,

Best wishes for a full recovery. Perhaps playing your concertina will be part of your rehab program.

My mother-in-law had a serious stroke at age 76. She spent a week in bed and another three weeks in intensive therapy and rehabilitation. She made a quite remarkable recovery and will celebrate her 80th birthday next month! The most noticable lasting effect of the stroke is her tendency to revert to her native German language. Which is OK with me since I understand little German and politely nod my head and smile as any proper son-in-law should!

Best of luck,

Greg

You're a bit like me, Helen. I can't quite bring myself to offer good money for something I haven't seen or can't handle.

I am sure that 99.9999% of the traders are completely honest, but let's face it, they're all there to make a buck! ;)

I'd lower that estimate by quite a lot.

I've had a few bad experiences on ebay and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless you are within driving distance of the seller.

My worst experience was buying a mandolin from one of the ebay "stores" 3 months after payment was received I hadn't got my mandolin. Thankfully I knew someone who lived a couple of hours from the seller and they paid them a visit collected my instrument and a refund for the p+p and sent it to me.

BTW I have been absent from this forum for over a week due to a stay in hospital.  I had a stroke and am recovering very quickly.  I tried playing my concertina today and it wasn't as chaotic as I thought it would be.

Woah. I've been there. It's not much fun. Believe me, playing the concertina is one of the best things you can do for yourself.

Nanette,

Best wishes for a full recovery.  Perhaps playing your concertina will be part of your rehab program.

It will. When I told the hospital physiotherapist I was a musician she was delighted. It seems musicians tend to make better than average recoveries from stroke. The determination to play, and the skills involved in playing, really do help in regaining brain function.

Chris

It will. When I told the hospital physiotherapist I was a musician she was delighted. It seems musicians tend to make better than average recoveries from stroke. The determination to play, and the skills involved in playing, really do help in regaining brain function.

Chris

And having heard Chris playing I certainly can vouch for that. I hope you do half as well as him and then you'll have nothing to worry about.

Hope you have a particularly speedy return to full operation.

As John a pal of mine said to his doctor when he got the all clear "does that mean I can play tennis?"

"Of course you can" replied the doctor.

"That's great" says John, "I never could get the hang of it before."

Best Wishes

Pete

• 1 month later...

I hate to disagree, but I have had almost NO bad experinces with ebay. I frequently buy for my antiques business on it and I have a 100% feedback rating. In all that time, I have only had one bad product ( I was eventually given a refund) and one seller who broke the item while packing it, apologized and refunded my money. My big concern is my inability to play in the leagues of such well-heeled bidders as our "frank"....

Greg

PS- you can check my ratings and buys under "relcollect" on ebay. It is short for our family business "Relatively Collectible" began by my parents...

Frank is now biding for that strange Lacenal and Co postcard on e bay, so he's not after reeds, looks like a serious (and well heeled) collector.

My big concern is my inability to play in the leagues of such well-heeled bidders as our "frank"....

Well I can assure you that the card has been bought by a very serious collector, though certainly not well-heeled ! :rolleyes: